Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 276615 times)

jayp5150

Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2004, 08:57:28 AM »
sorry, what does this effect do anyhow.. clean boost?

Pretty much.  On a solid state amp.  It does break up a bit at the very max setting; but on a tube amp, it's very cool.  It pushed the clean channel of my dad's Classic 30 into a nice overdrive, and it takes the rhythm channel of my 5150 and makes it very "brown."  Adds some sustain in both cases.

You can add more distortion with some diodes, I have a set on mine that can be switched in, and have a softness control on them.

Build it and check it out, it only took me like an hour the 1st time, maybe less, and it worked right away.

Good times.

bisser_hot

Working, but noise!! Can you help me?
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2005, 09:09:53 AM »
Hi There!

Yesterday i finished the NPN booster without having done anything like that before. I only had perf-boardwith 1x3 holes, so that caused me a bit of trouble. I managed to fix it with some loops.
There is a bit of noise in it, and it recived "russian-radio" as we call it here in Denmark. I guess the radio is there because i havet put it in a box, but from where is the other noise?? Is it because i havent uset metal film instead of carbon?
When i put it before my amps distortion channel i get TONS of noise when i turn it just a bit up, and even more when i cranck it up all the way. Is that normal. --- i use the 2N2222 trans.
The boost is (when you are playing) very fat and useable!!
Thanks for the very good intro to this DIY world Aron, I am hooked now!

By the way...can anyone help me with a tone pot, what should i be and where to wire it...a little drawing mabye?

What is the next beginners project likely to be?? just curious

Best regards
Christian H., Copenhagen

aron

« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2005, 05:52:46 AM »
It's probably just amplifying whatever noise is there already. I imagine it will be pretty noisy in a distortion channel. Do you get that noise when you boost into the clean channel?

Putting it into a box will probably help a lot.

For the tone control, you can try the tone mods in my simple mods page:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/mods.html

As for the next project, it's going to be an IC project. I ran out of certain parts, but I placed an order and hopefully soon.  :roll:

Jude

Another beginner project completed
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2005, 02:42:32 AM »
Hello all.

Today I completed the beginner project NPN boost. I'm quite pleased with the results and I'm grateful to Aron et al for their help and instructions. I've built an AX84 P1 style amp and so, I wasn't afraid to give this a go, but I was surprised at how tiny all the parts are in comparison! After having built the stompbox, I did run it through my amp and it pushed it quite nicely. For a second opinion, ask my neighbors.....

My build is a verbatim copy of Aron's, per the instructions. Here's the gory details.:

I ran a preliminary test with the wires like this and it did boost. I picked up some radio: Rush Limbaugh, of all things, is what it sounded like ??

Today I packed it into a housing and added a DPDT toggle switch.

Here's how it looks on the outside. The unique hammertone finish and recessed "knockout" designs are some of the details that boutique pedal builders gloss over:

Since I didn't want to wait around for shipping, everything was bought at the local radio shack, except for the 'housing' and DPDT switch. Most of what I bought came in packs of two or five, so I'll make another with a different transistor and then compare and contrast.

Since I don't see a shopping list anywhere, I will list the parts I used:

276-158 component pc board
276-2009 MPS2222A NPN transistor
276-2016 2N3904 Transistor (for the second build)
276-1995 8-pin low profile IC socket
272-1027 47uF electrolytic capacitor
272-1025 10uF electrolytic capacitor
272-1026 22uF electrolytic capacitors
272-1069 0.1uF polyester film capacitors
271-1126 10kOhm resistors
271-1347 110kOhm resistors
271-1342 47kOhm resistors
270-324 Heavy-duty 9v battery snap connector
271-1714 5kOhm potentiometer linear taper
274-252 1/4" mono jack
274-312B 1/4" stereo jack, three-conductor

wire, solder, enlosure, DPDT, drill etc were all on hand.

I think that's about it.

Now, it's off to Ebay! ......Custom handmade! 60's mojo! 70's grit! etc etc.  :roll:
Homer: "We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to. "

Lisa: "I'll start with Radio Shack."

bisser_hot

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2005, 07:55:15 PM »
Hi aron,

It is probably just me beeing a bit suprised over the noise. The noise is very loud with the distortion on, but my distortion channel is very noisy anyway.
The clean channel gets a bit noisy, but that is probably because of the transistor and the missing housing.

I also realized that my humbucker (an old super distortion) is quite noisy on my little practice amp, it's not that on my all valve '72 amp, so i shoud probably blame Marshall for most of the noise :)

thanks for considering the problem!

Best regards

Christian

Jehle

« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2005, 08:20:48 PM »
Hey, it's working!  :D

I had to pick some other values that were "good enough" to make it work.  Namely,
I used a 10K pot for the gain,
50uF for the output capacitor,
An... orange... non-polarized cap in place of that .1uF input cap

Here's all the bugs put in my bread board prototype thingamajig.

And... as a bonus... here's what it sounds like...
Jehle-NPNProject.mp3

Gain 100% on the NPN booster
Clean guitars trippled and panned 100% left, middle, 100% right
Dirty guitars mono, center, run through a Marshall setting on the SansAmp.

Enjoy.

Thanks Aron!  :D

scoho

« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2005, 03:28:34 PM »
I built this the other day, and it works well. This was my second attempt at a build after trying to set up my own project from scratch for my first try. That sure was a mistake! It took me several tries to get this one wired up correctly, and I'm not even using a switch!

I play a Strat into a '76 Vibro Champ. I can set the Champ on about "2", and it sends the Champ into overdrive after turning the pot about halfway.  The boost is clean and nice before the overdrive kicks in pretty suddenly.  It makes the amp a lot louder. Normally I wouldn't hit overdrive until like "8" on the amp.

Thanks for posting this project! I had never soldered a thing before and was only able to get started on this hobby with the detail posted here.

--Scott

aron

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2005, 04:28:47 AM »
COOL!

Congratulations!

Karmasound

« Reply #108 on: February 01, 2005, 10:10:54 PM »
I built this sucker today an it sounds great. I'm going to try swapping trannies around.

For me it was easier to populate the board first. Like looking at the final pick with the parts in their order then go to the schematic and underside picks and solder it up. :)

Time to do the Diode compression :wink:

aron

« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2005, 06:15:15 PM »
Congratulations!!!!! You are well on your way!

larseko

« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2005, 05:44:21 AM »
I built the booster during the weekend. A very nice sounding unit that suits me perfectly, as I have had problems with the boost channel of my tube amp (Marshall JCM 900) recently. Now I'll just try and use this booster instead; I think it will be a bit warmer in the tone than the JCM900 fuzz, which is a bit trebly.

I had no problems building the project. I have a bit of soldering practice, but just from assembling some precompiled gadgets earilier this autumn. At first the effect wouldn't make any sound, but then I discovered the battery was out. Swapped the battery, and the "pedal" (lump of wires and components is more like it) came alive.

Only thing is that I bought a "switchable" mono jack for input instead of a stereo jack. Is there a way to make this work in the same fashion as the stereo jack to avoid battery drainage?

I also think I will include a 9vdc input jack in the final assembly to hook it up to my power supply. Is it just to connect this as if it was a bettery, without adding any more components?

At last I'd just like to thank Aron for making this site and all you other people who contribute with so much for a novice like my self who tries to find out these things all by the net...

Best,

Lars Erik, Norway

KORGULL

« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2005, 06:13:27 PM »
Here is some instructions showing how to add a DC power jack - without disturbing any of the wiring you have already done - all you need is the jack and another battery snap. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=178&itemid=200

Here is some info explaining the other way to do it - you won't need the extra battery snap, but you will need to disconnect some wires that you already have hooked up.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23676
Good luck.

larseko

« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2005, 03:48:31 AM »
Thanks, but I already was going to change some leads and assemble the box, so I just wired the dc jack as I would have wired a battery snap. I only had two connectors on it, but I won't be using batteries a lot anyway. Now I'm only waiting for the switch from Aron, and it'll all ready to be wrapped up. I'll post some pics as soon as it's ready.

Lars Erik

adgators89

« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2005, 01:08:21 PM »
Well, I got it to work on my third try...third times a charm!  that's sad to have to say that for such a simple project, but oh well.  It doesn't ahve as much as a boost as I would like, anybody tweak it for a little more boost, let me know what you did.  I also would like to now try it over and make it into a distortion pedal.

6x2

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2005, 06:26:30 PM »
Hi,

I built this booster, worked fine the first try! :D I used a 2N2222 - simply cause it was the easiest one to find... DPDT instead of 3PDT. I'm looking at other transistors to test on it, see how it changes the sound...

I'll be testing the pedal to a couple of amps on a recording session on saturday if I manage to get it into the case by then (I'm an recording engineer with rather limited guitar and electronics skills, working on esp. the latter at the moment...) .

Thanks for the great project, it's a good one to start with. I built a Fuzz face clone too, but it didn't work too well, I have to get back to it.

Looking forward to building more stompboxes...

Cheers,

6x2

JIG

first try
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2005, 05:36:03 PM »
Build it this afternoon with parts from Rat Shack. What an expensive way to go! What the heck, for your first build you can spend a little money learning.

Didn't install a switch or led as I used it trough my Loooper. Works very well! Used a 2n2222 trannie, and have a couple of different types to play with. The boost control seems to do very little unitl you get to noon and at 3 o'clock it gets very dirty in a not so good way! But in its usable range it sounds very good. Used it in front of my 6V6 plexi, my P1eX and Silverface Champ with pleasing results. Stick the ZW-44 in front of the booster and HOLY DISTORTION Batman! Lovely! :twisted:

Will probably tinker with it some more and put it in a hammond box. Now I am hooked. Have a few projects I want to build.

Thanks Aron!

JIG

Will post pics when I figure out how to do that!

aron

« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2005, 09:08:51 PM »
>Stick the ZW-44 in front of the booster and HOLY DISTORTION Batman! Lovely! Twisted Evil

Cool!

vanhansen

« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2005, 10:54:17 AM »
Quote from: aron
>Stick the ZW-44 in front of the booster and HOLY DISTORTION Batman! Lovely! Twisted Evil

Cool!

Funny, I was thinking about this last night.  Didn't get a chance to though.  It was too late when I FINALLY got done boxing it up in an effort to clean up my bench.  This circuit has been sitting on my bench like a disected frog since I built it late last year.

I have to say, I really do like this boost.  I like how it boosts the sound across the board rather than just being a treble booster.  It's super quiet too when run through the clean channel of my practice amp.

The only problems I encountered when boxing it up were wiring issues.  I had my effect in/out wires reversed on the 3PDT switch and my led wired backwards.  :oops:  My audio probe proved to me the circuit was still working and pointed right to my error.  No pics of it yet but I should have a few in a few days to share.

If any beginners haven't built R.G.'s audio probe, do so.  It should be one of the first DIY tools you make.  You'll be glad you did.

http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/audioprb.gif
Erik

Jehle

« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2005, 05:40:22 PM »
Quote from: aron

Cool!

I did something similar.  I put the booster after my SansAmp GT2.  It was extreeme!  It was the closest to the snappy Jeff Beck tone that I've ever been able to get.

I tried putting the boost after the distortion because the other way there's a little too much hiss.  The noise is amplified by the SansAmp.  It's okay that way, but it's much more quiet the wrong way around.

H4T

« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2005, 02:01:56 AM »
I built the pedal and got it working! I put it in a fairly small, plastic RadioShack enclosure (which I guess is highly frowned upon, lol).

No labels yet, but I may add some later. I don't plan on having any other pedals of mine looking like this one, so it probably won't be a problem. So, here's some pics!