Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 276688 times)

Chris R

Just Finished
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2003, 10:47:58 AM »
I built it up this morning... it's a cool like circuit.  It took just over an hour for me to put together.  I used a 2N3904 for the tranny.  I'd like to get a few others to test out.. but the 2N3904 sounds good.  

I think i might actually box this one up... I've got a bad habit of not boxing any of my builds ;)  I guess the lead time on ordering just turns me off.

Thanks aron.. the build pictorial was very cool.. and easy to follow.

C

aron

Re: Just Finished
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2003, 04:41:32 PM »
Quote from: Chris R
I built it up this morning... it's a cool like circuit.  It took just over an hour for me to put together.  I used a 2N3904 for the tranny.  I'd like to get a few others to test out.. but the 2N3904 sounds good.  

Thanks Chris!!!!!

he build pictorial was very cool.. and easy to follow.

Fantastic and congratulations on your build!!!!!

A great way to start the day!

hair force one

errata
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2003, 08:30:11 AM »
:oops:check at,
http://partouze.chez.tiscali.fr/stomp/electro-moronix.htm
that is the true link to the page (soory guys!)

aron

Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2003, 02:59:53 PM »
WOW,

VERY NICE!  8)

Phiredog

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2003, 08:35:23 AM »
I built it Saturday and hooked it all up on my test stand and . . . . nothing. I get a signal to my amp but it has no effect. The tone control does not affect the sound at all. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

aron

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2003, 02:18:48 PM »
Bill,

Did you use a switch or wire directly to jacks from the circuit?

hmmm... what tone control?

aron

Phiredog

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2003, 02:28:36 PM »
Did you use a switch or wire directly to jacks from the circuit?

I wired directly to the jacks.

hmmm... what tone control?

Make that Boost, not Tone.

Bill

Chris R

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2003, 03:16:59 PM »
Is the transistor in the right way ?

Chris

aron

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2003, 04:01:26 PM »
Bill,

What type of transistor did you use?

Good that you connected directly to jacks, makes it easier to debug.

OK, can you measure the voltage on the pins of your transistor? What you do is put your meter to measure DC voltage and put the black probe on any ground point, and the red probe on each leg of the transistor (you can do it from the bottom of the board ) and write down the values (voltages) for each leg.

Phiredog

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2003, 10:57:56 AM »
What type of transistor did you use?

I used 2n5088.

OK, can you measure the voltage on the pins of your transistor?

Yes, I can but wasn't sure how until now. I will try to check these tonight and get back to you.

Thanks for all of the help.

BTW - should I get a signal to the amp with the transistor removed? I did last night. I would have assumed a signal could not get through. Probably a obvious but I'm asking anyway.

aron

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2003, 02:09:47 PM »
You might but it will be weak.

You probably have a simple wiring problem, or the transistor is in backwards. Flat side should be facing the "front" of the circuit (input cap).

tonepoet

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2003, 01:04:20 AM »
Hi Aron,
     I got most of my parts at Radio Shack (up here in Alaska, I don't have a lot of choices). Is there a real difference between that and the parts at Small Bear? Also, I saw some metal film resistors at the Shack, will this make a difference with the effect? I know that a lot of DIY'ers often speak of these. Also, if I hold down the soldering iron too long, will I fry parts? I am extremely sloppy at soldering, I may go get myself another board and some more parts and start over, it looks like hell compared to yours. I'm not sure if it works completely or not, I still have to attach the pot and jacks and switch. I can never thank you enough for doing this for all of us, I often read your post before, but having no experience other than modding a TS-9 every now and then, this is a breath of fresh air. Do you think that maybe at one point we can learn about an easy A/B switch, possibly a looper with a tuner out or something?
Check out my SOUNDCLIPS
Open 24 hours a day!

aron

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2003, 02:18:27 AM »
In general, the parts you get from Small Bear/Mouser are better quality than the Radio Shack parts. Does it matter for this project? Probably not much if at all.

Metal film is good for lowest noise, but again, it probably doesn't make that much difference if at all in this circuit.

You will probably not fry any parts on this project from heat with the exception of the socket. It can melt if you leave the iron on too long.

I made a bypass A/B box for myself.

It's a booster (last it was MXR micro amp) and it switches between the Micro amp and muting the input and sending it to a tuner.

I can show that as well soon.

Warpfingers

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2003, 11:47:32 PM »
Hi, built this circuit a while ago, sounds pretty good but a little lacking in higher frequencies with the gear i'm using, gonna add the range control if i can find some half decent pots around. I should have socketed the chip for experimentation but was too eager to get it done...

Can't thank you enough Aron for your work putting that great guide up!  :D

WF

RJ

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2003, 11:56:26 PM »
Hi Aron, managed to get this working tonight...very fun project and perfect for a first-time builder.  Thanks again for the excellent walkthrough.

aron

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2003, 02:42:10 AM »
COOL RJ! THANK YOU!!!!!  8)

PB Wilson

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2003, 03:18:51 PM »
Well I finally wired up by NPN Boost and spent a bit of time playing through it. I never really thought I'd need a boost pedal since I'm not one for soloing, but I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how it made my setup sound more musical and full. It made apartment-level playing sound much better to my ear and made the notes bloom. At the highest levels I did get a bit of radio reception, along with a nice mild overdriven sound, but I figure the radio will disappear once I box it up and shorten the wires. I've yet to use it with some of my other pedals and at much higher volumes, but I can already see it becoming a permanent member of my usual setup.

By the way, I used a socketed 2N5088 transistor and am going to try some others in the near future. I followed the original schematic and may try the range control in the future. I also wired it up to a 3PDT (thanks Aron) and fired it up on the first try! This was my first foray into perf-boarded effects and I like it. Aron, your pictorial was extremely helpful and gave me the confidence to try other perf-boarded projects. At the moment I have a Harmonic Jerkulator almost ready to go and have plans for a Distortion+ with many mods and one of Joe Gagan's excellent pedals. I'm hooked!

I do have a few questions for those who made this pedal. Where do you put it in your chain of effects (keep in mind that I have a germanium Fuzz Face clone at the front) and does anyone leave theirs on all the time like some players do with their Z-Vex SHO?

aron

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2003, 07:43:14 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!!

As you can see, wiring with perfboard can be very quick and easy.

The method will work fine for most small to medium sized pedals. I've made a bunch of pedals using perfboard.

It works!

Phiredog

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2003, 04:45:38 PM »
Hey Aron,

I got my pedal working but I'm getting a terrible hiss. Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill

aron

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2003, 01:21:57 AM »
What kind of transistor did you use?

Are you sure the input capacitor is the correct value?