Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 276755 times)

kdog

Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2004, 06:54:30 PM »
Okay, I guess I'll log in as someone who's completed it too. I have for a while but was waiting to complete the enclosure before posting... Overall, the circuit building was very easy/fun, I made one wiring error and caught it before trying to power it up. I have some prior experience with breadboarding, etc, in school (EE). I did a pretty good job of checking everything with the Multimeter and it worked straight away. Always nice. :D

Tried a few transistors. I actually liked the 2N2222 in it quite a bit.

Added a True bypass switch (DPDT, no LED) with the intention of putting it in an enclosure (as it is my first FX build). Was going to use a RACO box but that absolutely sucked (in terms of drilling etc). Also, realized I didn't have enough drill bits (specifically, that dang Alpha DPDT switch requires a bigger bit than my drill can even accept). Also realized I'm probably going to have to resolder some of the parts when it's mounted for positioning....

I was pretty stoked after I built the ckt and found it to be working/useful but am finding that I am not digging the enclosure building/finishing up part too much.  Anyone have any newbie do's/don't's for this point to make it less painless? I can start a separate thread (or revive an old one), if Aron wants to keep this thread separate.

I'm ordering some Hammond Boxes (I initially couldn't stand the thought of paying $8/box but at this point, I'm thinking my time/frustration is worth it :) ).

Great write up, by the way, Aron. This is a good intro to the hobby and it's almost like getting a 'free' piece of gear. ;) While building I intentionally bought a bunch of different parts/values to have enough on hand to facilitate more building.

aron

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2004, 08:01:11 PM »
Thank you kdog!!!!!

The part I hate the most is wiring the pots and jacks etc... I love building the circuit, but the wiring.... ughhhh...

I'm going to try the t-shirt method of transfer.... I haven't tried it yet, but I do have the sheets.

kdog

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2004, 11:40:47 AM »
Quote from: aron

The part I hate the most is wiring the pots and jacks etc... I love building the circuit, but the wiring.... ughhhh...

Cool. I'm glad to know someone who's really serious about it and has done a lot of successful projects doesn't like some piece of it, too.

While doing the first project and researching components to purchase to get my in stock parts suffficient to do a few projects, I went and downloaded a schematic editor (Eagle 4.11) and I started doing some PCBs of some of the schematics, I started tweaking on the designs, etc, learned how to use Eagle's autorouter (main reason I was attracted to it).  

I seriously started thinking, "Okay, I could seriously do this as a career". Guitar stuff and computer stuff, this is awesome. Once I got about halfway into building... Suddenly, it was like, "UGH! I gotta put this in a box, I gotta add wires, knobs, and battery, ick!".

I'm sure when I get it into a box and start painting it, decorating it, labeling it, etc. I'll be, like, "Cool!" again. (I like doing decorative art type stuff).

PS: Along with my Hammonds I'm getting some PNP Blue. :) I'm thinking making PCB's will be kind of fun and streamline the process a little. I've actually done it once before, but never with the computer layout which should be really cool.

gareth

I have built it!
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2004, 09:26:46 AM »
I have built the pedal, and it works! I did not make it true bypass initially, but I am working on that now. Its sure sucks tone (when switched off) without it! I also left the LED out, mainly because I forgot to drill a hole for it... may put that in later too.

Thanks Aron for puytting this resource togther, I probably never would have bothered if I hadn't found this site!

Can anybody reccomend a good pedal to try next? I was thinking of trying the "Easy Face" from www.generalguitargadgets.com. I would eventually like to make a an overdrive that uses a tube ... is that way harder? I've only ever played/seen one and that was a bottle rocket. They cost $800(NZ) so I will never be able to try one at home and what it can really do ... seemed a bit muddy in the shop (but HUGE sound).

Anyway, thanks again Aron!

I feel like a Jedi who has just made his first light saber from scratch ...

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2004, 01:35:44 PM »
Well, a tube usually uses high B+ voltages to operate (think 300vDC) but you can get some low-voltage tubes that use 12v... that could sound pretty cool. Think of a tube as an oversized FET ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

gareth

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2004, 06:25:25 PM »
okay,

I assume the different voltage will make it behave differently right? But having a high voltage pedal would be way too dangerous wouldn't it?

Also, My booster makes a nasty buzzing sound when I strum hard. My souldering is pretty terrible, so would that be the problem? Or is it just my components are crappy?

Cheers
Gareth

aron

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2004, 09:02:22 PM »
>I assume the different voltage will make it behave differently right? But having a high voltage pedal would be way too dangerous wouldn't it?

IMO it's too dangerous for a beginner type of deal. It's better to mod an amp at first (a simple amp), then move on from there.

>My booster makes a nasty buzzing sound when I strum hard. My souldering is pretty terrible, so would that be the problem? Or is it just my components are crappy?

It could be overdriving the amp input, does it always happen??? Does it boost ok?

johnyze

the pedal!!!
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2004, 02:55:34 PM »
hey aron, how goes it? I just wanted to thank you as well for your time and patience in helping everyone with this project, including me. I just got my parts the other day, and finished building last night at 2 am. I was watching the return of the king, and only spent about an hour soldering the last few pieces together. It sounds cool, but I'm wondering about the distortion I get when I crank the pot all the way up. I haven't done the switch, or anything fancy, because I just wanted to get the circuit running. The transistor I'm using is a 2n2847 (actual transistor reads np2847, does that make a difference?). Yeah the only problem Ive had is that it turns into a fuzz when I crank the boost all the way up. Any ideas? is it just the transistor? Thanks so much again.

John

aron

Re: the pedal!!!
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2004, 04:55:33 PM »
The transistor I'm using is a 2n2847 (actual transistor reads np2847, does that make a difference?). Yeah the only problem Ive had is that it turns into a fuzz when I crank the boost all the way up. Any ideas? is it just the transistor? Thanks so much again.

Hi John!

According to Gus it's designed to do this. In fact, this helps when overdriving a tube amp. I like the fuzz that I get when I use a 2N2222 type transistor.

Riggins

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2004, 09:15:44 PM »
I've been lurking here for about a month, and had bought my parts about 2 weeks ago.
I just got around to setting up my little workshop in my shed and put this baby together this afternoon.

It Rocks! I can't believe that it sounds as good as it does, I know it was meant to be kept simple, but I like the way it sounds :)

I have a few different transistors to try and have liked the couple that I've used so far, they are very different sounding from each other though (another plus). Don't have the tranny specs in front of me to post or I would, next time perhaps.

Just wanted to post and say thanks a ton aron! This is just what I needed to help myself get familiar with reading schematics and generally get my feet wet working on electronics. I followed your instructions carefully and didn't have one single glitch.

Thanks again, you are the man :)

remmelt

HURRAY!
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »
after unsuccesfully trying a fuzz face clone and some other booster (i don't even recall which one it was... disappointments, disappointments) i finally did it!

at first the pedal didnt work, i had tried hooking it up with alligator clips for leads and only a real thin sound came through... next day, i figured why not and hooked it up with some regular wire and solder. it works! great!

i am quite surprised of the sound that came out. the electronics shops over here (amsterdam, nl) didnt have any green metalfilm caps for the input, so i have this red plastic box thing, which they assured me is the same. i got me a 2N2222A but it's not plastic like yours, it looks like a metal can (like here) so i was a little worried at first that it wouldn't work, but it's working great!

thanks a lot for making it this easy to follow. i really appreciate it!

now for an enclosure...

(edit)
i found me a box! i put some pictures up, you can view them here: pictures

chokeyou

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2004, 03:11:43 AM »
well i put it all together and hooked up my wires and stuff and its not working  right...i checked mine to the schematic etc and all my solder jobs look good, checked them with the multimeter and all is well. i CAN hear my guitar coming through it but theres a constant, godaweful buzz noise that i cant seem to get rid of, im wondering if my wire leads are positioned wrong, though i dont know how they could be this was so simple...another thing i discovered is that my battery seems to heat up...if that helps you at all. any help greatly appreciated!

bazzwazzle

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2004, 03:38:36 AM »
i'm having the same problems as you, sometimes the battery heats up when i shut off the amp. All i get is a signal when i tap with my finger etc. I don't really hear my guitar soming in at all. I've checked 60000000 times I do not know what is wrong and i'm becoming dissapointed :/ I WILL NOT GIVE UP THOUGH!

chokeyou

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2004, 04:50:09 AM »
hah keep trying, my problem was that i had the sleeve of my input jack wired directly to the + 9V...didnt take into consideration in part 4 the pic shows a resistor and LED between there....so i just connected the input sleeve to ground like the other one....

works good....still needs something though....maybe i'll do that shape mod...whats it do exactly?

remmelt

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2004, 08:08:45 AM »
battery heating up is usualy because of a short circuit. check, double check, tripple check, etc.

it's probably a wiring mistake!

bazzwazzle

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2004, 10:50:51 PM »
well i took everything off the breadboard, soldered it in, and finally got it going. I'm hooked! IT'S awesome, it sounds good and the feeling of accomplishment is great :D   thanks aron!

chokeyou

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2004, 03:23:23 PM »
second time i built it, i had the first one working but when i went to put it into a small enclosure the wires were too short so i jsut decided to start from scratch...now for some reason it sounds like a jawari or something...i get a signal through it but its only the attack of the note, no sustain...and it sounds really thin, anyone know of a reason for this?

Samuel

« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2004, 04:17:55 PM »
Check the voltages on your transistor, and check the resistor values and solder joints around the transistor. Sounds like its probably misbiased.

chokeyou

« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2004, 04:29:36 PM »
how do i check the voltages on the transistor? i know the transistor works because i used the same one earlier on a working circuit its a 2n2222. ive looked at resistors and stuff too, coming up empty handed here

aron

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2004, 04:09:22 AM »
Red lead on a pin, black on ground. Set the meter to DC.

Check each pin and post the results.

Aron