|HOME| |DIY FAQ| |GEO FAQ| |Debugging Page| |Links| |Schematics| |Wiki| |Layouts Gallery| |STORE|
|AMPAGE| |GEOFEX| |AMZ|

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 05:00:35 AM
946545 Posts in 101632 Topics by 31726 Members
Latest Member: RenéF
Home Help Login Register
DIYstompboxes.com  |  Projects  |  Beginner Project  |  Please let me know if you have built this project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Please let me know if you have built this project  (Read 178805 times)
Gus

Re: Please let me know if you have built this project
« Reply #400 on: September 09, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »

If you like the NPN boost you might want to try ver2

R5 and R10 are one 5K gain control, 22uf to wiper,  It is drawn this way to sim the 5K control.  The sim steps though the param list and does the math "moving" the wiper, gset as .1 then .25 etc

Input is R8 and R11 node omit C4 and to the left that is a simple guitar sim
Tinman402

« Reply #401 on: December 29, 2011, 12:46:02 PM »

I built the booster... took 2 tries to get it right but once you do it sounds pretty good.. Using a 2n3904 gives you boost thru 2/3s of the volume then you get some fuzz... Fun project..
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #402 on: December 30, 2011, 01:45:35 AM »

Yes sounds correct! Congratulations!
stevewdewitt

« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2012, 10:32:16 AM »

I have build this project after a couple of attempts at other similar, a little more complex, effects. It does sound good all the way up on my small crate V8 practice amp. I can't wait to hear it on my Fender Blues Jr.

One question I would have, I have a 9v battery, with 8.9v measured, it does seem that the pedal is a little quiet and actually cuts the volume when turned on, is this normal or an indication of a problem?

thanks for all the work,
Steve
.Mike

Mike - Savannah, Georgia USA

« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2012, 01:16:30 PM »

One question I would have, I have a 9v battery, with 8.9v measured, it does seem that the pedal is a little quiet and actually cuts the volume when turned on, is this normal or an indication of a problem?

When turned all the way down, it should be (if I recall correctly) slightly above unity gain. As you turn it up, it should get significantly louder.

Check to make sure your transistor is properly oriented, and double check everything else to see if you accidentally made a mistake.

If you can't figure it out, start a topic to debug in this (the Beginner) forum. Smiley

Mike

If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. Wink

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.
stevewdewitt

« Reply #405 on: February 01, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »

When turned all the way down, it should be (if I recall correctly) slightly above unity gain. As you turn it up, it should get significantly louder.

Check to make sure your transistor is properly oriented, and double check everything else to see if you accidentally made a mistake.

If you can't figure it out, start a topic to debug in this (the Beginner) forum. Smiley

Mike

thanks for the suggestions and information. I will give this a try as soon as I can.
Strat68okc

« Reply #406 on: May 13, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »

I just finished it. It works. I'm amazed. I did screw up and put the wrong caps in the wrong place in the circuit, so I had to take them out and change em. My vision could be better for doing things like this. I'm already planning my next build....
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #407 on: May 14, 2012, 03:36:37 AM »

Great! Congratulations!
scnative

Mission Accomplished
« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

Project completed. I bought the parts from this store, for the record.  It sounds killer and I love the breakup at the higher volumes.  I put it in a Radio Shack aluminum project box.  My only issue is the "pop" when engaging the switch.  It goes away when disconnecting the LED.  I've tried rewiring the switch 4 or 5 and tried different LED/resistor combinations. I have put a 10k resistor in front of the input and it helped a bit.  I might play around a little more with this as I noticed the V2 of this circuit has a anti-pop resistor.

I can only notice the pop with no input signal and the amp dimed.

Anyway, thanks for the forum.  I've learned a lot and look forward to building the next fuzz project.

Take it slow,

SJ
axemurderforhire

David Quinn

« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2012, 12:08:06 PM »

Little vid i did for the booster, Sadly i dont appear in it but you do get to hear my awe inspiringly bad guitar playing  icon_biggrin you lucky people ha ha

http://youtu.be/wfj9OY_Jjjs
aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #410 on: July 17, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »

COOL video!
BobP

« Reply #411 on: August 27, 2012, 05:03:21 PM »

I just finished this on a breadboard and it sounds killer! I don't know about others saying this is subtle, I'm getting really cool distortion and a BIG boost.

I have a question about one of the capacitors, the 10uF on the output. In the build pictorial it shows a positive and negative side (polarized?). The cap I bought is non polarized. If I adjust the knob anyway other that max I get a lot of weird 'wuh-wuh-wuh' noise. Any opinions appreciated, I may start a debug thread later. Thanks Gus, Aron et. al.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that this worked on my first try, and I am a CRAPPY solderer. I really did not expect it to work. Kudos for the clear pictorial.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 05:30:34 PM by BobP » Logged
pinkjimiphoton

"it's got YOY" jimi in manchvegas

« Reply #412 on: September 08, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »

one more for the build list, gus!!

if you guys haven't tried it yet, try gus's octave up sick box...best octave fuzz on the planet!!
Wink

i don't care what ohms law is, i ain't no flippin EE!!
gnort_2

« Reply #413 on: August 29, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »

This is my second pedal.  The boost, works great.  Thanks for all the help boys.  I was gonna put a name on it.  But i liked the starkness of the glow in the dark peter lorre.  Who wouldn't?
craniumboy

AJ M - Texas

« Reply #414 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »

I have built this and it works great. Only working on trying to decorate my enclosure! I do have a question... When I built this on the bread board it was perfect. I put it on a board and had some issues trouble shot through that and finally got working. Now when I bring the boost all the way up it starts to buzz even if not playing anything... Anyone have any ideas?
S_DANILO

Sergio from São Paulo / Brazil

« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:47 AM »

Please post a message if you have succesfully built this project.

Thanks!

@ Aron, thanks a lot for the great tutorial! I've just done it and can gladly say it's my first successful DIY pedal! Cheesy

Despite being successful, I've got two questions about it:

1) When I turn the GAIN knob up I end up having a great overdrive sound! Was this supposed to happen ? Or I just messed it up in a wonderful way ?

2) I tried to use the DC Jack bellow, but I quit when I noticed that I would need to first attach it to the enclosure and only then solder the cables. Is this right? Am I using the correct DC Jack ?

Thanks again! Cheesy
ReluctantGT

« Reply #416 on: January 26, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »

I built it!  My first proto-board attempt.  I built it on a 101ST board using a MPSA18 transistor and 2 10uf caps in parallel in place of the 22uf.

Initially, it was a great AM radio receiver.  Now it's not as good a radio, but a much better volume boost!  Now I need an enclosure...

aron
Administrator

Aron Nelson

« Reply #417 on: January 27, 2014, 03:16:30 AM »

Cool!
Sghet

« Reply #418 on: March 25, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »

Amazing stuff! This pedal works on Bass? and what can you change to have also a tone pot? te V2 looks amazing!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: