News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Joyo Pedals

Started by soupbone, January 02, 2014, 05:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

So,I've been checking out some Joyo pedals on YouTube,and I'm pretty amazed how good they sound!For the price I'm amazed.Then,I found out they're all clones of famous pedals! For the price the've got a pretty good monopoly going on.From some research online(google's my friend) The Sweet Baby OD,which sounds really good,is a clone of the Mad Professor Sweet Honey.Do they have to change one part to not get sued?

Fender3D

They're from China...
Try and sue 'em
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

therealfindo

Quote from: soupbone on January 02, 2014, 05:27:10 AM
.Do they have to change one part to not get sued?

Sued for what? Cloning is not actually illegal.. unless the circuit is patented, which most aren't. (afaik)

soupbone

Some of them say "Harley Benton" on them.Maybe he was cloning them,and Joyo bought him out maybe?Hell,i don't know! :icon_mrgreen: Here's the "Sweet Baby Overdrive" ;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBOwxFNHi-g

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

AudioEcstasy

I've used quite a few and they are GREAT! Not all, but I'd say most. The ones I've used:

AC Tone - Tech 21 Liverpool
Vintage OD - TS808
Phaser - Phase 90 (block logo I believe)
Sweet Baby - Sweet Honey

All of those have given me a killer sound. Quiet, and sturdy.

FiveseveN

Quote from: soupbone on January 02, 2014, 04:39:36 PM
Some of them say "Harley Benton" on them.Maybe he was cloning them,and Joyo bought him out maybe?
Harley Benton is just Thomann's store brand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Benton
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

therealfindo

I had a couple of Harley Benton / Joyo pedals for a while.. the digital delay was ok, but I really liked the tremolo.. and kind of wish I hadn't sold it.

atreidesheir

The first generation is far better build quality than the second. 

pinkjimiphoton

their noise gate is bloody useless if you're a blues/classic rock guy like me.... but it works great in chainsaw thru marshall applications.

with a cleaner signal, way too many artifacts.

what's cooler than joyo?

nux. i rock their time force delay.... like, 9 kinds of delay that models stuff, little video screen that shows your settings, 9 presets and tap tempo... 69.00.... also does looping, and all kindsa other stuff... tails or true bypass.

the mod force pedal is cool, but i'm not sold on it... but it IS useful.. two independent mod engines you can use similtaneoulsy with tap tempo and again 9 presets... whuch can be a gas... if ya hit the presets and then tap in a diffeent time, you can hear some weird stuff...

but if ya hanker for phaser and chorus simultaneously in one pedal,60 bux is hard to beat.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

chumbox

I have a Dyna Compressor that I got as a gift and it's totally great. The graphics leave a bit to be desired but pulling it open it's running the same transitors and ICs as the older Keeley Ross clones.  It's not a Dyna it's definitely a Ross.  Tight sound and low noise. Think I'll just re-spray the enclosure and consider it a bargain. 

therealfindo

Anyone tried the DR J series which Joyo has funded?

drolo

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 04, 2014, 07:20:05 PM
their noise gate is bloody useless if you're a blues/classic rock guy like me.... but it works great in chainsaw thru marshall applications.

what's cooler than joyo?

nux. i rock their time force delay.... like, 9 kinds of delay that models stuff, little video screen that shows your settings, 9 presets and tap tempo... 69.00.... also does looping, and all kindsa other stuff... tails or true bypass.

the mod force pedal is cool, but i'm not sold on it... but it IS useful.. two independent mod engines you can use similtaneoulsy with tap tempo and again 9 presets... whuch can be a gas... if ya hit the presets and then tap in a diffeent time, you can hear some weird stuff...

but if ya hanker for phaser and chorus simultaneously in one pedal,60 bux is hard to beat.

Jimi, Kind of OT, but does your Time Force have any issues with the tapped tempo being out of sync?
We're a couple of users of that pedal having that issue ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104261.0) and I was wondering if it's a general bug in that pedal or if we both just got unlucky ...
That said I hope yours works fine, aside from that little issue this pedal is indeed great :-)

Mike Burgundy

They are impressive, especially on that budget.
It looks like the quality is pretty good as well, we only once got one back (DOA). Comp is good, some distortions are great, I'm not too blown away by the delays (analog or digital) but still decent.

therealfindo

Quote from: drolo on January 06, 2014, 05:55:03 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on January 04, 2014, 07:20:05 PM

what's cooler than joyo?

Jimi, Kind of OT, but does your Time Force have any issues with the tapped tempo being out of sync?
We're a couple of users of that pedal having that issue ( http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104261.0) and I was wondering if it's a general bug in that pedal or if we both just got unlucky ...
That said I hope yours works fine, aside from that little issue this pedal is indeed great :-)

I found with my TimeForce, the tap tempo seems to take the release of the stompswitch and not the pressing down - so if you don't release it in the tempo, it will be out of wack..

drolo

Quote from: therealfindo on January 09, 2014, 03:22:46 AM

I found with my TimeForce, the tap tempo seems to take the release of the stompswitch and not the pressing down - so if you don't release it in the tempo, it will be out of wack..

Hmmm I need to give that a try