Ibanez phase tone, adding true bypass 3PDT (advise please)

Started by dimebucker, January 07, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dimebucker

Hi, im attempting to install true bypass and an LED into my Ibanez Phase Tone (PT 999):

I have just bought a 3PDT switch and LED, would this be an appropriate wiring setup: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/StompboxWiring/StompboxWiring96.gif

Also here are the guts of the thing (the central green and brown wires were soldered to the trim pot)

*INPUT is from the right*, but Im not sure about the wiring:

WHITE or BLUE is output of PCB?
YELLOW is input to PCB?

Black=earth
Red=power

Any help would be much appreciated, this is my first project!!! :icon_biggrin:

Dirk_Hendrik

TB-ing.. that's reversible. But leave the bugger alone when it comes to drilling holes for LED's. The potential resale value of your pedal will drop.
On the other forum there's a Iba PT999 duscussion right now in which I have posted the schematic. That's not the one posted above. That one is for the current Maxon reissue.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

dimebucker

Ok, thanks alot, i will check that out!

...regarding the LED though, its essential for us in our live situation. Not too worried about resale!

Stinger

May I suggest an external tb switch (with send and return)?
That way you can keep the pedal in original condition and get that TB+Led
Good deals with: Ben79, haveyouseenhim, Hemmel, arma61, rydog2223, g., Buzz

mth5044

Eh, if it's a pedal you love, make it more useable for you - add an LED. If board space isn't at a premium, you could make a small bypass loop and throw it in there.

zombiwoof

Quote from: mth5044 on April 23, 2014, 12:43:21 PM
Eh, if it's a pedal you love, make it more useable for you - add an LED. If board space isn't at a premium, you could make a small bypass loop and throw it in there.

I agree, there are commercially available TB loop pedals now in extremely small cases that are very inexpensive, or you can build one yourself very easily.  The smallest ones don't have any room for battery power, so you need to use a power output from your power source for the LED.

Al

Mark Hammer

Note that pedals which normally use JFET switching, will typically NOT include a bleedoff resistor on the input, because they assume the input will only be connected/disconnected when you plug in, and unplug.  True bypass switching is electronically identical to plugging in and unplugging.  So if you don't have a resistor to bleed off any residual charge stored in the input cap, you will experience switch-popping.

If you are going to go ahead with the conversion, then I strongly recommend doing one of two things.  Either solder a 1M-2M2 resistor from the input pin/pad of the phaser circuit board to ground, or else run that same resistor-to-ground from the switch lug that will ultimately connect to that input pad.