Corrected EHX MN3007 Clone Theory Schematic

Started by Scruffie, January 10, 2014, 06:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scruffie

Having seen some gut shots of an original Clone Theory, I went about tracing and correcting the available schematics drawn by TomBoy & Nelson upon noticing some discrepancies and this is what i've come up with, as far as I can tell, this is now 100% correct, although the values of C5 & 6 I have left as 680pF as in the afore mentioned schematics for now as the original has a cap labelled 412 and I cannot confirm what the actual value is, both 412pF and 4,1nF seem like very odd values.

Thanks to pinkjimiphoton for confirming some values from his original units.

Input OpAmp Should be U1A - RC4558 and Switch is shown incorrectly, the second half of the Vib/Flange switch should be in the N.C position.

Kipper4

Nice work  Scruffie. Thanks
Have you built it from the ground up yet?
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Scruffie

Quote from: Kipper4 on January 11, 2014, 03:42:40 AM
Nice work  Scruffie. Thanks
Have you built it from the ground up yet?
No but it'll work and I spent a lot of time checking the trace to make sure what I was seeing was correct. It's not too different from the confirmed Nelson schematic, just a few redundant caps dropped, slightly different filtering, a few value changes and the Chorus/Vib-Vib/Flange switch is wired slightly differently.

For anyone interested a guy on the madbean forums is going to be offering a run of fabbed PCBs (charge pump on board) of this soon too.

Oh and having checked, 412pF caps do exist (although not very common) and regards filtering while very light they seem to make the most sense for the value as 4,1nF would be pretty heavy at 757hZ.

I may breadboard this in a day or two just to test it but the schematic can be trusted (as long as you pay attention to the note that the Vib/Flange switch is shown incorrectly).

And nice Red Dwarf signature  ;)

Kipper4

Great news I cant wait to hear the results.

Yer the signature means I'm a smeg head too......
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Scruffie

Having acquired the factory schematic thanks to Stephen Giles and having built a prototype PCB I can now confirm that this schematic is verified and correct compared to the others floating around the net.

Just to note, the factory schematic calls for 390pF caps in the annotated positions, but as was found in 2 separate original units, 412pF were used which will roll of slightly more treble and reduce noise above 7578Hz.

Bret608

Is the fabbed version you mentioned one of you and Haberdasher's collaborations? This would grab my attention as much as the ADA flanger you're working on!

Not really a huge parts count if I'm reading this correctly...

Scruffie

Quote from: Bret608 on April 21, 2014, 01:06:17 PM
Is the fabbed version you mentioned one of you and Haberdasher's collaborations? This would grab my attention as much as the ADA flanger you're working on!

Not really a huge parts count if I'm reading this correctly...
It is :) the man does a great layout!

Nope not massive, in fact perhaps smaller parts count than the Small Clone (i'd have to check) it'll have 3007/3207 switching too as well as the charge pump on board and all board mounted.

Bret608

Good to hear! I'll be on the lookout for the release. I agree, he's bringing some huge layout skills to the table. And of course, those etches...

Scruffie

Quote from: Bret608 on April 21, 2014, 01:35:06 PM
Good to hear! I'll be on the lookout for the release. I agree, he's bringing some huge layout skills to the table. And of course, those etches...
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=15656.0;topicseen  :)