Tonepad flanger

Started by Kipper4, January 17, 2014, 05:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper4

Anyone built this?
What was your experience?

Please tell me which 12 v regulator is needed.
The intro says runs off 18vdc I guess the regulator is to turn the 18v to 12v

I'm gonna have to check my caps can handle the 12v too.

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=49

Thanks

Question could a charge pump be used with a 9v battery?
If not why not ?
If so how do you make one or are there commercially available ones

I've not had anything to do with charge pumps yet
But I have used a regulator in a delay
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Govmnt_Lacky

The regulator you can use is up to you. There are essentially 2 types:

78L12 (12V regulator in a TO-92 package)

7812 (12V regulator in a TO-220 package... much bigger.)

For this, you could probably get away with the smaller 78L12.

You can use a charge pump with a 9V wall wart to power this as well. There are etching templates for a pump circuit everywhere. You can also pick up a fabricated board at Madbean (Road Rage) which I have used successfully several times. May I suggest that you use the LT1054 for the charge pump IC. This way, you wont have to hassle with the current draw of the flanger. It might be a bit more expensive but, well worth it.

Try to ensure that you place the charge pump as far away from the PCB as possible. This way (especially with a circuit that has an LFO and a clock) the frequency coming from the charge pump circuit will not heterodyne with the PCB clocks and LFO.

As for the caps... DEFINITELY make sure that ALL of them are rated for AT LEAST 12VDC. I would suggest nothing less than 25VDC for them.

Good Luck!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Kipper4

Thanks a lot mate .
the LT1054 rings a bell I think i asked about these before and Mr Patton reccomended them

currant draw of the flanger?

Hetrodyne?

I'll look up the charge pump from madbean too. I'm sure my buddy might be able to etch me one
thanks

edit

i Googled it

het·er·o·dyne (htr--dn)
adj.
Having alternating currents of two different frequencies that are combined to produce two new frequencies, the sum and difference of the original frequencies, either of which may be used in radio or television receivers by proper tuning or filtering.
tr.v. het·er·o·dyned, het·er·o·dyn·ing, het·er·o·dynes
To combine (a radio-frequency wave) with a locally generated wave of different frequency in order to produce a new frequency equal to the sum or difference of the two.

[hetero- + -dyne, power, frequency (from Greek dunamis, power; see dynamic).]

Grey Paper.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Kipper4 on January 17, 2014, 07:54:09 PM
currant draw of the flanger?

The flanger circuit will draw amperage which is often referred to as "current." In the pedal wold, this is often measured in milliamps or "mA." Your flanger build will require (or draw) a certain maximum amount of mA. In order to provide those milliamps to the flanger, your power source has to be able to provide them. FOr instance, when you look at a wall wart power supply, you will often see it rated as 9VDC @ 500mA (the amount of mA can vary) this means that the power supply can delive 9VDC........ UP TO......... a current draw of 500mA. When the circuit it is powering starts to require more than 500mA then the voltage will start to drop.

LED lamps alone can draw 20-40mA depending on which kind you use and what size current limiting resistor you use.

Lets say your flanger requires ~40mA. That means that your charge pump circuit has to be able to provide 18VDC @40mA. The LT1054 is spec'd to provide a good voltage doubler up to 100mA. That is good for you. On the other hand, the MAX1044 is only good as a double up to around 20mA. That means that if you were to use it in your charge pump board and connect it to the flanger, you are needing 40mA BUT, your chip is only good for 18VDC up to 20mA. Which means that you will probably be heating up your 9V power supply AND your circuit will not be getting the 18VDC it needs.

Hope you are not confused now  :P

Hetrodyne?

Heterodyning is when there are 2 clocks in close proximity and close frequencies to each other and it causes noisy feedback. Use your Google-fu for further info.  ;)

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Kipper4

That makes perfect sense.
It's a good lesson for me.

I'll look up the 78l12 spec sheet too and make sure it's up to the job although I suspect you suggested it because it is.
I'm interested in currant and amperage all of a sudden thanks mate
Rich

Grey Paper.

Govmnt_Lacky

Rich,

The best way I have found for figuring out how Power, current, and resistance interact is to think of a child blowing soda through a narrowing straw.

The soda is the electron flow. The amount of air necessary to push the soda through the straw is the current. The "narrowing" of the straw is your resistance.

As the resistance is less in the beginning, it takes less current to push the electrons (soda) through the straw. As the straw gets more narrow (more resistance) it takes more current to get the soda through the straw.

Simple Ohm's Law!  ;)

Kipper4

Thanks mate for the explanation appreciated.
So far my journey has been voltage centric.
I briefly looked at threvonins theory.
I need to understand better the effect of currant and needs in circuits
I'll do some googling.
Unless anyone has any good links that is.
Cheers
I must also look at setting up my DDM and look at currant draws.

Grey Paper.

duck_arse

your out of tune guitar (I'm not saying it ever is out of tune) will hetrodyne when it produces "beat" notes.

I think.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

bluebunny

Quote from: duck_arse on January 19, 2014, 10:18:27 AM
I think.

You think right.  The "beat" beats at the difference of the two frequencies (assuming you're playing two strings).  As the beat gets slower and slower, so the two strings' frequencies get closer and closer.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Kipper4

my guitar hetrodynes when IT is in tune.
How did you know it was out of tune?
I know bunnys have big ears but thats ridiculous :) :)

Grey Paper.

bluebunny

Quote from: Kipper4 on January 20, 2014, 09:56:13 AM
How did you know it was out of tune?
I know bunnys have big ears but thats ridiculous :) :)

I don't have many talents, but I can tune a guitar...   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...