Gus's A Somewhat Different Fuzz... stupid pedal trick

Started by pinkjimiphoton, January 18, 2014, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

fendman

Hey Jimi, Just listened to stupid pedal tricks....do I need therapy?? 8mins+ of my life  Only kidding. Hahaha, I just love the way you noodle away and that pedal is hmmmm not as good as the ancient prophet which I still might have a go at.

Cheers
Mike

pinkjimiphoton

the ancient prophet is a completely different animal. this is actuall one of the most useful, nicest sounding fuzzes i've ever built.

the AP is total uncompromising BALLS... even metal guys would probably like it...

this one is really sweet... like a smoother big muff. this is my favorite gus circuit i've built yet, it is insanely volume knob interactive... something i'd never expect from 5089's!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Davelectro

That sounds fantastic! It's like an overdrive with a fuzzy edge.

pinkjimiphoton

hard to tell with this current audio in the video... it sounds a lot better in the room than on video!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Gus

Thanks for the video.
I heard/saw you found the sustain.  I tried the one I built with a J Bass.

I think with a nice input buffer and some adjustments it could be turned into something like a 3 transistor based Bluesbreaker like effect.

mth5044

Sounds great, Jimi. What schematic did you end up using?

pinkjimiphoton

in this case, i wou;d leave the front end alone gus, and add a back end... be nice to have a tone control, even if ya leave it on 10 most of the time.

the way this interacts with guitars is magical. it's almost like a fuzz face, i don't give out compliments like that lightly, ya know!!  :icon_mrgreen:

the front end sounds great. i would like to see a little more output, maybe a tone control, and a better sweep for the master volume as constructive criticism,
but i fear an input buffer may destroy the beautiful interaction with the guitar.

whatever the last thing i posted as vero was is what i built, i believe it matches gus's final revision of posted schematic, not with any revisions. honestly, i picked up
all my stuff before the holidays, and i don't recall exactly what i did... but i know gus asked me to build it stock first, and i know i did do that.... cuz usually i tend to dick with things all the way thru the process. this is zero mods... just the genius of my friend gus shining thru.

well done, gus, to "hear" this stuff in your head and be able to translate it to an actual circuit speaks volumes as to your talents bro!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

slacker

That sounds great, it looked interesting when Gus posted it nice to hear it in action.

joegagan

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

kingswayguitar

alfafalfa

Quotelove yer hendrix riffs man!!

and your Yes  (fragile)  licks! Have forgotten the name of the song.

Very nice sounding fuzz Jimi , so it's a Gus fuzz but with your mods ?

Alf

stallik

Hey Jimi,
Really nice tone. Want to build this myself so any chance of helping out a dumb old git and pointing to the layout you used as I just can't find it
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

The French connection

Quote from: stallik on January 20, 2014, 05:03:41 AM
Hey Jimi,
Really nice tone. Want to build this myself so any chance of helping out a dumb old git and pointing to the layout you used as I just can't find it

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=104029.00
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

stallik

Thanks Dan, now why could my search not find that? Maybe I toped budly.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

The French connection

Quote from: stallik on January 20, 2014, 09:27:31 AM
advanced search...fuzz & somewhat by user: gus  :icon_wink:
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

mth5044

Quote from: stallik on January 20, 2014, 09:27:31 AM

I had a hard time finding it too until I searched for ASDF