Transistor Testing and record keeping

Started by JimmySnips, January 26, 2014, 05:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmySnips

Hi All,
I'm fairly new to the sport, and have been testing transistors for leakage and gain. I've got through quite a few and have recorded the results by using tiny little sticky labels attached to each transistor with a reference to the results kept in a note book.
This seems a bit cumbersome - what do you guys do?  Any suggestions appreciated.
Jim

IvIark

I number them with a DVD pen and then keep a record in an Excel workbook

Seljer

With JFETs I scotch tape them to a sheet of paper and write down the measured values next to each transistor

Kipper4

Quote from: Seljer on January 26, 2014, 06:18:26 AM
With JFETs I scotch tape them to a sheet of paper and write down the measured values next to each transistor

I do this too and put them in plastic holders in an a4 file with the pinout diagram on the sheet
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

duck_arse

you can dab them on top with white correction fluid, and then number them with a pencil. clear nail polish over the top if you want durabillity. for matched sets of stuff, just dob them with different coloured felt-tips. different sets w/ diff # of dots, or diff combo o' colours, and like that.

matt black paint for plastic models also works well with pencil.
don't make me draw another line.

davent

Quote from: JimmySnips on January 26, 2014, 05:21:53 AM
Hi All,
I'm fairly new to the sport, and have been testing transistors for leakage and gain. I've got through quite a few and have recorded the results by using tiny little sticky labels attached to each transistor with a reference to the results kept in a note book.
This seems a bit cumbersome - what do you guys do?  Any suggestions appreciated.
Jim

Much like you, i keep records in a notebook, for ID labels i use a single hole paper punch to punch small round labels from a big sheet of blank labels. Also... Whiteout painted on the top the transistor, then number id tied to notebook data, fine, permanent marker on can transistors...
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

tubegeek

Quote from: davent on January 26, 2014, 11:53:21 AMfor ID labels i use a single hole paper punch to punch small round labels from a big sheet of blank labels.

So, you're a genius then. Brilliant!

Any tips for peeling the backing off the dots? Tip of an xacto or...?
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

davent

Tip of a #11 in the Xacto does it well...
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

italianguy63

I use cheap Avery address labels.  Put the pertinant info. on it, and fold it over on one of the legs of the tranny.  Actually, I cut the labels in half.  So, half a label per tranny.
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

LucifersTrip

when you get too many, you can put them in small bags of ranges instead of labeling each individually
always think outside the box

JimmySnips