odd looking 2N5088 7429

Started by Will.mendil, January 30, 2014, 12:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karbomusic

So just to follow up on this. I received a batch of these not long ago via Amazon from what I assume is a Chinese manufacturer. They appear to work fine other than a single one I was having issues with yesterday. I'm considering getting another bag of them but need to formally measure and test them more. However, your picture above is exactly what I have. Hopefully you can see it on the board playing the role of Q2 near the top of this Si Fuzz I just built:

Their product shot does NOT match the product I received so I'm somewhat on the fence on ordering them again.

italianguy63

It actually looks cooler than the normal ones.   :icon_biggrin:
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on June 25, 2014, 03:19:37 PM
It actually looks cooler than the normal ones.   :icon_biggrin:

I know! That's what I liked about them, as long as they perform well, they look great.

italianguy63

I think Paul once explained that components are built to specifications, and not necessaily the way they physically look.  So, as long as the specs. are right-- don't worry about what they look like.  That's my take anyway.

Where'd you get them-- I want some.   LOL
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on June 25, 2014, 03:24:51 PM
I think Paul once explained that components are built to specifications, and not necessaily the way they physically look.  So, as long as the specs. are right-- don't worry about what they look like.  That's my take anyway.

Where'd you get them-- I want some.   LOL

It was these @20 cents a pop for a bag of 50.

http://www.amazon.com/2N5088-LO-NOISE-100mA-AMPLIFIER-TRANSISTOR/dp/B00KHMR57C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403724518&sr=8-2&keywords=50pcs+of+2n5088

The product shot is wrong as you can see what I received in the pic is the little spaceship looking ones. I'm considering getting another batch but who knows what could arrive.

italianguy63

I just ordered some yesterday from Tayda.  Only $.07 ea (less 15%).  So these are more pricey-- but yes, cool!  

I am almost going to bet what you got is New Old Stock (NOS) from 20 years ago or so... They look like older or European manufacture.

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on June 25, 2014, 03:32:46 PM
I just ordered some yesterday from Tayda.  Only $.07 ea (less 15%).  So these are more pricey-- but yes, cool!  

I am almost going to bet what you got is New Old Stock (NOS) from 20 years ago or so... They look like older or European manufacture.

It's only a 10.00 bet, I might order just to see. If they actually still perform OK, I'll end up using them anyway. Might measure them in the next day or two as well.

duck_arse

if they are the ones w/ the gold plated legs, use the cut-offs for classy bling low ohm links.

or sell to a jeweller.
don't make me draw another line.

R.G.

pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

duck_arse

Quote from: R.G. on June 26, 2014, 11:01:35 AM
pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...pinout...

here's something ......

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107434.msg979835#msg979835
don't make me draw another line.

italianguy63

Karbo--

Did you ever check these out or try for more?

digi2t

I tried to get some on Amazon.....

but they don't ship to Canada.  :icon_sad:

Can someone help out a brother? :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

italianguy63

Dino-- I may be able to.  I went for 50 but they have not arrived yet.  Went with the crap-shoot, and hope I get the coolio ones.

MC

karbomusic

Quote from: italianguy63 on July 16, 2014, 02:00:52 PM
Karbo--

Did you ever check these out or try for more?

I did, they arrived yesterday and were no longer the cool looking ones.  :icon_cry:

No biggie, I'll surely use them but wanted to pass along they did not come as they did the first time. I considered when/if I get a survey from the vendor, inquiring about them specifically.

italianguy63

I should get mine any time now.  Maybe I will have better luck.

digi2t

Quote from: italianguy63 on July 16, 2014, 04:34:49 PM
I should get mine any time now.  Maybe I will have better luck.

Crossin' my fingers and toes.

Let me know.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

italianguy63

Will do.  I expect to see them in a couple days hopefully.  Coming from China, no tracking... but ordered a good while back.

italianguy63

*yawn*  Still waiting...

Lost in the typhoon.... "Gilligan" transistors.

italianguy63

Has anyone seen the story about the Legos washing ashore in Britain from the shipwreck?  If anybody finds tranistors on the beach somewhere, they're mine!  Please return them...

Gilligan Tranisistors lost at sea with the Professor and Mary Ann!!

MC

anotherjim

By an incredible coincidence, most of those Lego parts are from Pirate and undersea themed sets. You get octopus, cutlass swords etc. They got in the sea after a freak, very localized storm knocked their shipping container off the deck of a ship. I like to think that Neptune wanted them for a grandkids birthday.