dod 250 overdrive help1

Started by Nickymousecymru, February 06, 2014, 06:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickymousecymru

hi, first post so be gentle, i bought a working second hand reissue dod 250 od (made 1996) and decided to fit a boss style socket and 3pdt switch with the aims of fitting an led. i have the bypass sound of the guitar working fine but when i engage the effect all i get is a horrible oscillating noise that changes as i turn the level and drive knobs. Also the output jack only has 1 wire connected ? can't work that one out. I've probably done something silly but any help would be very appreciated

nick

deadastronaut

hi nick, and welcome..

the output jack with one wire is fine as it grounds on the box itself anyway ok...

follow this wiring guide (wiring 5) and i'm sure you'll have it up n running properly. ;)

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Nickymousecymru

thanks very much. i think ill desolder everything and try again, just hoping I've not somehow buggered up the board. can't see how i could have mind!

Nickymousecymru

So rewired and now I get lots of buzzing but no signal regardless of on or off... Any ideas. I've grounded everything I can see needs grounding but don't even get a clean bypass signal now :(

aron

How did you figure out what to wire? Did you use the existing wires from the circuit or????

See:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/articles/elbypass.html

and

Nickymousecymru

I wired it as wiring diagram 5 as suggested above. The led lights via the switch but there is just buzz wether on or off. I've used a meter to check the earths and they all buzz out and I added an earth to the input and output sockets as the new boss style jack is plastic so figured the case won't be any good for earthing now. It's really frustrating as it worked when I bought it !

Mark Hammer

Given that the solder lugs are a 3x3 matrix (such that you have 3 columns and 3 rows no matter which way you orient it), are you certain that you've connected with the appropriate lugs? 

Nickymousecymru

Yeah buzzed out from centre to ensure it changed from off to on

zombiwoof

I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of changing out the old 1/8" adapter jack for the Boss style, when you can buy a short adapter cable that converts the 1/8" jack to one that accepts a Boss style (negative center barrel) plug for around $4.  I have a few of these around for my old pedals with the 1/8" jacks, and they work great.

Al

dwmorrin

Quote from: zombiwoof on February 07, 2014, 09:08:51 PM
I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of changing out the old 1/8" adapter jack for the Boss style...
Maybe because it's become the standard way to power a pedal?  Because an extra adapter is just one more thing to deal with on a already complicated pedalboard?

Quote from: Nickymousecymru on February 06, 2014, 08:04:37 PM
Yeah buzzed out from centre to ensure it changed from off to on
What does that mean?  I think you mean you used a meter with a buzzer, but you also used "buzz" as a way of describing your problem... so...  ???

How about a couple good pictures of the guts of your project?

Nickymousecymru

Sorry, yeah done a continuity test on the switch to check I'd wired the pedal correctly. I have wired the input and output jacks direct
To the effect to test it and powered with a battery and still getting a buzzing sound so I'm thinking grounding fault maybe

dwmorrin

Quote from: Nickymousecymru on February 08, 2014, 03:14:02 PM
Sorry, yeah done a continuity test on the switch to check I'd wired the pedal correctly. I have wired the input and output jacks direct
To the effect to test it and powered with a battery and still getting a buzzing sound so I'm thinking grounding fault maybe

How about a continuity test on all ground connections?

Going from the stock connection to a "true bypass" and then now changing to no bypass is quite a lot of changes!  Each event has it's own opportunities for mistakes.
Continuity check everything you can.
Post pics if you can.

alphadog808

Hey Nicky,
  I haven't read over the posts too well, but I do have intimate experience with adding a boss style power adapter to a dod 250.  I had problems as well; the solution/problem was the dod power adapter piece is made of metal, so the case ground is done via the connection to the power adapter.  As the boss connector is all plastic, I added another wire from the - on the adapter and made a connection to the case.  

It's been a while, so I can't fully remember the symptoms before I fixed it, but I think I was only getting the LED to light up, but no volume.

Hope that helps!

zombiwoof

Quote from: dwmorrin on February 07, 2014, 11:47:08 PM
Quote from: zombiwoof on February 07, 2014, 09:08:51 PM
I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of changing out the old 1/8" adapter jack for the Boss style...
Maybe because it's become the standard way to power a pedal?  Because an extra adapter is just one more thing to deal with on a already complicated pedalboard?

It's really not difficult to plug a short 4" or so adapter cable into a pedal, and plug your power supply cable into that.  It's not a separate power supply, it's just a short cable with a 1/8" plug on one end and a barrel jack on the other.   I certainly wouldn't change out the jack on a vintage pedal, but I don't think that's the case with your pedal.  It's much easier to just use that converter cable than to change out the jack IMO, but you can do whatever you want.

Al

Nickymousecymru

Hi, yeah I suspect the issue is a ground issue caused by the new socket so I'll add a new
Ground to the case and see where we go. The no
Bypass test was literally just to confirm it still worked. All your help is very
Much appreciated

mth5044

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Nickymousecymru

Once I get home men I'll upload some pics

Steve Mavronis

Wire it something like this? Note: The wire colors may differ in your pedal. This scheme worked with my DIY clones:

Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

aron

Make sure that you look at your 3pdt switch with the lugs horizontal as shown in my pictures and on layout 5. Orient the switch exactly like I have it in my picture.