7 Min Fuzz (chromesphere's) additional mods?

Started by gasmask, February 09, 2014, 11:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasmask

Well, recently I found this schematic:   www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/boms/7_Min_Fuzz_Schematic.pdf
But I really would like to add some additional mods/knobs (like in zvex fuzz factory).
Do you know any cool modifications?
I have already used switches to change various diodes and input caps and added 250k before whole pedal.
Thanks in advance.
gas

anchovie

That's a very simple circuit with very few parts, so there aren't many components to change the value of! You could add stuff to it, but at what point does it cease to be a modded 7 Min Fuzz and become a totally different effect?  :D
Bringing you yesterday's technology tomorrow.

peterg

The circuit is essentially the same as a bazz fuss. You'll find variations if you do a search. You can add a tone section and add a pot at the transistor's emittor to control the fuzz level.

gasmask

peterg: I thought about adding gain pot but I wasn´t sure. When I was soldering COT-50 I remembered that there are resistor and capacitor (in parallel) before pot. So I made input pot.

slacker

gasmask

slacker: thanks for the link. It helped me a lot. :icon_biggrin:

Anybody has other mods?

peterg

Slacker's post links you to the mods I was thinking of. You could add a pot at the trans collector for a dying battery effect.

seadi123

gasmask

peterg: I like this dying batt effect. I only don't know if I should add 100k pot or just replace 10K with pot... Maybe first option...

seadi123: Are you trying to tell me that this project is senseless? :)

Ben N

I think one of the best mods for a bazz fuss is to put a single transistor boost in front of it--the Big Muff input stage with gain control would work fine. Basically turns into in a 90% Whisker Biscuit. Then you can dial up sustain or splat.
  • SUPPORTER

peterg

Gas. I'm not too certain of what the best approach is but I woud guess that the 10k should stay and a pot added. Try breadboarding to find out the best value pot. You can find out more here: http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/DBS/

seadi123

Quote from: gasmask on February 09, 2014, 02:13:39 PM
seadi123: Are you trying to tell me that this project is senseless? :)

No i just gave you the source for some great mods for that circuit . I recently built my bazz fuss v3 and it was really fun to build , but that's all . The effect is almost unusable in the "real world"  ;) .

The sound is just too robotic . The circuit MUST at least have a gain control . It is simply done by adding a resistor between the transistor emmitter and ground . More detail at page 13 of Project files . Cheers  ;D

chromesphere

Hey gasmask,
I've got a video in the upload queue on adding a gain control.  Pretty sure I settled on a 2k pot on the emitter?  I can check it when I get home if your interested in that.
Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

gasmask

chromesphere

Yep 1k or 2k from emitter to ground.  (10k collector resistor, 1n914, mpsa13).
I will upload the video next for you gasmask which should be in 2 days time.
Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

gasmask