Some free books about tubes, amplifiers, etc. (in pdf format)

Started by MaxPower, February 15, 2014, 02:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxPower

http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

Old books but I doubt tubes have changed much....

Anyone familiar with any of the books? If so which would you recommend, or are not worth bothering with?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

teemuk

I found "Dynamical Analogies" by Harry F. Olson extremely fascinating.

But it's not about amplifiers, though. It's about dynamical analogies. In other words, deriving electrical analogies to mechanical or hydraulic systems. Explains, for example, the key ideas behind things like Thiele/Small loudspeaker modeling and alike.

PRR

> Anyone familiar with any of the books?

All of them.

Unless you use a dial-up steam-powered modem to reach the interwebs, they are all worth the price.

Even if you are low on coal, the DVD (sold by a partner) is worth the price to you.

Start with Inside the Vacuum Tube, John F, Rider

Dynamical Analogies can wait for later. Much later.
  • SUPPORTER

MaxPower

Thanks

I do indeed have dial-up (powered by an athsmatic hamster). I downloaded the larger pdfs at my local library. I'll try downloading the remaining pdfs at home.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Jdansti

dynamical

Almost sounds 'demonical', but appears to have a broad mathematical usefulness in many fields of science. (I had to look it up ;)).
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

bluebunny

I scored a printed copy of Reich's "Principles of Electron Tubes" on Amazon, having read the PDF on this site.  Interesting read.  It sits alongside Merlin's preamp book.  I find it neat that they're decades apart, but saying pretty much the same things.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

R.G.

Quote from: Jdansti on February 16, 2014, 04:39:39 AM
dynamical
Almost sounds 'demonical', but appears to have a broad mathematical usefulness in many fields of science. (I had to look it up ;)).
My Controls class contained a heaping helping of the dynamical analogies, being oriented to all controls, not just electronic. The tests would have us answer stuff on electro-hydraulic-fluidic-thermal stuff as an integrated system with overall gain, feedback, summers, multiple outputs and such. The dynamical analogies sure help in understanding a lot of different phenomena.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Jdansti

I've used the analogy between Ohm's law and the flow of water through pipes at work quite a bit, but was of unaware of some of the other analogies such as a capacitor and a spring. I just read Chapter 2 of Dynamical Analogies and it is a nice summary of many of the analogies.

As I think I understand PRR's comment, probably not super useful for noobs building stompboxes and amps, but it is interesting if you want to learn more about the world around you.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...