Tascam 414 MKii Fuzz

Started by wheyface, February 18, 2014, 07:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheyface

Hey everybody!

I recorded some surfy demos last year (you can hear them here: //lovesounds.bandcamp.com to get an idea of what I'm talking about)
All the fuzz and distortion was through the mono preamps and mixer eq's that are on board.  And I LOVE that sound.  Unfortunately the capstan on that recorder busted and I haven't really considered fixing yet. 

My question is has anybody tried converting the innards of that machine into a stompbox? I've taken a look at the insides of it (I can't find schematics anywhere online) but I was just wondering if anybody's tried it. 

joelindsey

Are you sure the actual capstan is busted? I doubt it, considering that it's a straight rod of metal.  The capstan belt will often break or wear out after years of use. A new belt is likely a few dollars on ebay.

IIRC the preamp is a two transistor balanced gain stage (real descriptive, I know) followed by an op amp stage, though it may be different on your MkII because the design changed a bit with the various models. You can find the schematics for one of the 488 models online, and there's a good chance they used the same preamp on both. Might point you in the right direction if you want to copy the circuit for a pedal or something. Cutting it apart to make a pedal won't be worth it, and is wasteful imo. If fixing isn't an option, you could use it as a dedicated mixer and wire direct outs for each channel pretty easily.

I think the mid Fi electronics "demo tape" fuzz is based off one of the 424 preamps.

wheyface

Haha yes the belt is what I meant.  I had it modded for a while so it would wobble out of control but that died a bit ago as well.

The 488 definitely didn't use the same preamps unfortunately.  I had one sold it recently, most of the time just ended throwing the 414 infront of it.  If I'm not mistaken the 424 and the 488 have the same preamps and the 414s were different.

Doug keeps that schem under wraps, and rightfully so haha.

nocentelli

Demo tape fuzz schematic is available over at the other place.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

wheyface

Where is "the other place"? I've been looking for weeks.

Mustachio

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

nocentelli

The other place -

http://tinyurl.com/qe7yokw

The name cannot be posted here, some software censors it out.

Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

wheyface

Radical thank you dudes!!!!!!

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

Rooster72

Quote from: duck_arse on March 06, 2014, 11:12:54 AM
Quote from: nocentelli on March 05, 2014, 11:58:03 AM
The other place -

that's very funny.
O hey friend, that is funny, I stumbled across the other place and it looked so familiar, I new I shouldnt of came back over here and mentioned what I saw there. Really like that Demo Tape Fuzz

Rooster72

Quote from: duck_arse on March 06, 2014, 11:12:54 AM
Quote from: nocentelli on March 05, 2014, 11:58:03 AM
The other place -

that's very funny.
O hey friend, that is funny, I stumbled across the other place and it looked so familiar, I new I shouldnt of came back over here and mentioned what I saw there. Really like that Demo Tape Fuzz

garcho

I love the 424 channel overload, reminds me a little of the Neve/Lennon.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

tjdracz

414mk II plus reverb = tone of brad laner from Medicine. Got my Tascam for about £10 two months ago. Thought about taking it apart and tracing the preamp to have couple of them stacked in the stompbox form. Not sure how different that would be from Demo Tape though.

mth5044

Quote from: tjdracz on May 08, 2014, 09:12:10 PM
414mk II plus reverb = tone of brad laner from Medicine. Got my Tascam for about £10 two months ago. Thought about taking it apart and tracing the preamp to have couple of them stacked in the stompbox form. Not sure how different that would be from Demo Tape though.

Only one way to find out  :icon_twisted: