What are you using for a soldering station?

Started by bassesofdeath, February 22, 2014, 10:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavley

Quote from: Jdansti on February 26, 2014, 03:40:24 PM
>At home I use a Xtronic 136esd, but I stepped on the iron and need to replace it because it's gone a bit wiggly.

Hopefully it was off!   :icon_eek:

It was, but I do have a scar from junior high (more years ago than I'm willing to admit) when I accidentally leaned on my soldering gun.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Timoren

I just upgraded from a Tenma 21-7945 to a Hakko FX888D with a chisel tip and I absolutely love it. I cant believe how fast it heats up compared to my old one. I build at 680º F / 360º C. It's probably still a little too hot, but it's way cooler than the 750º F default of the solder station.

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

IsaacMoth

Weller all the way! The Hakko 808 desoldering gun might be my most prized possession though.
"He said to comb the desert so we are combing it!"- Lord Helmet

Jdansti

Quote from: wavley on February 26, 2014, 03:49:40 PM
Quote from: Jdansti on February 26, 2014, 03:40:24 PM
>At home I use a Xtronic 136esd, but I stepped on the iron and need to replace it because it's gone a bit wiggly.

Hopefully it was off!   :icon_eek:

It was, but I do have a scar from junior high (more years ago than I'm willing to admit) when I accidentally leaned on my soldering gun.

Amazing how those "branding" scars last. I've got one too-about 1.5" x 0.5". I laid my left forearm down on my Dad's iron when I was 4 years old-almost 48 years ago. I can still remember my mother yelling at my father for allowing it to happen. Funny, she still yells at him for various reasons! 
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

amptramp

Quote from: stallik on February 26, 2014, 11:52:14 AM
@amptramp Nice. joking aside, I do have a really big iron which gets pressed into service for soldering big wires to the back of big pots

My other hobby is restoring antique radios and many of them have ground lugs punched out of the 1/8" steel chassis.  Soldering to that takes a minor thermonuclear event.  My biggest soldering gun is 240 watts and it can't quite do it.  I would love to get one of the American Beauty 300 watt irons.

wavley

Quote from: amptramp on February 27, 2014, 09:24:32 AM
Quote from: stallik on February 26, 2014, 11:52:14 AM
@amptramp Nice. joking aside, I do have a really big iron which gets pressed into service for soldering big wires to the back of big pots

My other hobby is restoring antique radios and many of them have ground lugs punched out of the 1/8" steel chassis.  Soldering to that takes a minor thermonuclear event.  My biggest soldering gun is 240 watts and it can't quite do it.  I would love to get one of the American Beauty 300 watt irons.

I use a small butane torch for that kind of stuff when you can get the surroundings clear enough to not burn anything.  Can caps in old amp can be a REAL pain to get out and back in, so much so that if it's for my own use I just disconnect them and find a place in the chassis to put modern caps, but sometimes you just can't.  Radio Shack used to sell a great really small torch that had a CO2 sized cylinder, they've long since stopped carrying that so I use a little bit bigger one I got at Lowes.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Big Thurs

http://www.mpja.com/Mini-Solder-Station-ZD-99/productinfo/15860%20TL/

Cheap clone of the popular weller station.  I bought it in 2005 I think, and I'm still on the original tip...for desoldering I use a rat shack desoldering iron.  The tips for those have something to be desired.

merlinb

Today I had fun turning the junk Weller I found in the skip into a bench PSU, using a voltmeter and LM317 kit I got from Chinese sellers on ebay. Whole thing cost me less than £5 :icon_mrgreen:

tubegeek

Quote from: Jdansti on February 24, 2014, 05:27:56 PM
I use a Weller WLC100 with a small screwdriver tip. It's about $50US and works great.

For a while, anyway. On mine, the dimmer gave out. Easy enough to replace though, just get a replacement 50W lamp dimmer and off you go.

@merlinb - I like that bench supply!
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

boogietone

An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

Jdansti

Quote from: tubegeek on March 29, 2014, 09:19:32 PM
Quote from: Jdansti on February 24, 2014, 05:27:56 PM
I use a Weller WLC100 with a small screwdriver tip. It's about $50US and works great.

For a while, anyway. On mine, the dimmer gave out. Easy enough to replace though, just get a replacement 50W lamp dimmer and off you go.

Yep. Same here. At least the dimmers are cheap and easy to replace.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

mthibeau

I was using an Aoyue-936, it was ok.

But then my father in law sent me his old station, and I have been using that since. I have no idea how old it is, 70s most likely, he sent me that solder sucker and that fat roll of vintage solder too.

deadastronaut

^ nice retro station.. 8)

love the PSU too...sweet. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

edvard

Wow, you guys are so classy.   :icon_eek:

Umm... tuna can (weighted with found lead wheel lugs for stability), wire coat hanger, stainless steel scrubby... Voilà! Soldering station!

:icon_lol: :icon_redface:
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy

diydave

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that uses a stainless steel scrubby!  ;D
Nice idea about the coathanger!!

duck_arse

QuoteBut then my father in law sent me his old station, and I have been using that since. I have no idea how old it is, 70s most likely, he sent me that solder sucker and that fat roll of vintage solder too.

is the old solder stinkier flux burning wise? and is the sucker an EDSYN, electronic design to suit your needs? those old big-barrel suckers really did the trick, and pack a hell of a kick as well.

@ diydave - coathangers are for jacob's ladders and car radio aerials (bent to the shape of australia) only.
don't make me draw another line.

edvard

Quote from: diydave on April 01, 2014, 05:46:47 AM
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that uses a stainless steel scrubby!  ;D
Nice idea about the coathanger!!

Yep!  You are not alone!  Actually, I think I got the scrubby idea from perusing these very forums.  What comes around, goes around I guess.
As for the coat hanger...

Quote from: duck_arse on April 01, 2014, 10:18:51 AM
...coathangers are for jacob's ladders and car radio aerials (bent to the shape of australia) only.

Don't knock it 'til you try it!  :icon_biggrin:
It was actually the only thing I could find that would make a semi coil-shaped solder wand holder.   :icon_cool:
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy