Started a development blog!

Started by lungdart, February 24, 2014, 01:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lungdart

Started a blog to document the development process over at stomp labs. http://stomplabs.com/category/devblog/

Going to be posting weekly about our development cycle, what we learn as we go on, and sharing that information. Right now we're further ahead in the development cycle than the posts, so there is a little catch-up that has to be done, but things should settle shortly. Not sure if there is any interest here or not, but there may be some good advice in here for you DIY guys, especially the non-veterans.

Let me know what you think!
Electronics product designer
Stomp Labs Inc
Stomplabs.com

Ice-9

Hi, I couldn't find any schematics or build info. Can you point me in the right direction.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

electrosonic

I think the DIY part of it is that you earn the money yourself before handing it to them for a pedal.

I am not an admin, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this forum, there is no DIY info in the link.
  • SUPPORTER

Ice-9

Quote from: electrosonic on February 24, 2014, 03:43:07 PM
I think the DIY part of it is that you earn the money yourself before handing it to them for a pedal.

I am not an admin, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of this forum, there is no DIY info in the link.

That was exactly my point, although very slightly hinted at. It looks like a shop and the post here is a free advert to try and sell his wares. Good luck to him but this is a DIY forum. I hope as his development goes on there will be more DIY info from there as it looks interesting.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

lungdart

Quote from: Ice-9 on February 24, 2014, 03:59:09 PM
Quote from: electrosonic on February 24, 2014, 03:43:07 PM

That was exactly my point, although very slightly hinted at. It looks like a shop and the post here is a free advert to try and sell his wares. Good luck to him but this is a DIY forum. I hope as his development goes on there will be more DIY info from there as it looks interesting.

I am a big fan of Dev blogs (hardware and software), and I figured there might be some interest here in people getting a more in depth look into pedal manufacturing. I had already talked to a moderator about sharing back with this community, and I was given the go ahead, as long as I am contributing.

Yes it's on the company website (Where else would it go?), and of course it's nice to get exposure to you guys, I wont lie. But the goal of this is to give back to the DIY community for all the great information you guys share. I had done a post on reddit ([ur]www.reddit.com/r/diypedals[/url]) asking if there was any interest in doing a devblog there. I got a good reaction so I started one up, figured you guys would enjoy reading it to.

Since the feedback has been negative, Maybe this post should be moved? Maybe the lounge would be more appropriate? Mods feel free to chime in.
Stomp Labs Inc
Stomplabs.com

slacker

I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, it could be quite interesting learning about your development process. All I would say is that the posts so far are very light on any actual detail, obviously you don't want to give too much away but I think to be interesting to people on here you need a lot more technical info, why you used certain parts, specific issues you had and how you solved them stuff like that, just more meat adding to the bones.   

lungdart

Quote from: slacker on February 25, 2014, 01:42:56 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, it could be quite interesting learning about your development process. All I would say is that the posts so far are very light on any actual detail, obviously you don't want to give too much away but I think to be interesting to people on here you need a lot more technical info, why you used certain parts, specific issues you had and how you solved them stuff like that, just more meat adding to the bones.   

Thanks for the feedback!

I understand so far it's been a little light on the details, I do plan on getting more technical in the future. Right now I am just getting my feet wet with this blogging business (I am not a very good writer :P).
Stomp Labs Inc
Stomplabs.com

lungdart

Quote from: slacker on February 25, 2014, 01:42:56 PM
All I would say is that the posts so far are very light on any actual detail, obviously you don't want to give too much away but I think to be interesting to people on here you need a lot more technical info, why you used certain parts, specific issues you had and how you solved them stuff like that, just more meat adding to the bones.   

Okay, so this weeks post is a technical one. http://stomplabs.com/converting-an-effect-circuit-for-use-with-xpressway-technology/

To give you a jist of what it's about: Our XPressWay line allows advanced expression control through the use of micro controllers and digital pots controlling an analog circuit. Using digital pots instead of traditional pots requires some extra design consideration due to smaller pot ranges, and voltage limitations. This post is a technical overview of what had to be done to take a TS9 clone and modify it for use with the digital pots.

Also, I'm still not sure if this is the right place to be putting this? Like I said I got the go ahead from the forum mods, but a some animosity from you guys about it, so I dunno. Play it by ear for now.
Stomp Labs Inc
Stomplabs.com

electrosonic

Read your design blog about accomodating digital pots in a tube screamer circuit. Interesting read thanks for posting.

• SUPPORTER

lungdart

Thanks for the input electrosonic!

There's been a few more posts since then, as well as a technical research paper I believe. Going to be breaking down the importance of the different types of components. Started with resistors, but will be doing at least caps, possibly transistors, and op amps as well.
Stomp Labs Inc
Stomplabs.com