Stupid buzzing sound from Punch Amp . Help

Started by seadi123, February 27, 2014, 04:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadi123

I built this thing some days ago and it keeps making a stupid buzzing sound just as i connect the battery . I dont hear any other sound , just a stupid buzz , wether the guitar is connected or not . I have checked many times , every wire , every single solder . and everything looks ok . Has someone had this problem before ? Where does this buzz come from ?

I made this mp3 clip , the buzz is really irritating so i just recorded 2-3 seconds http://picosong.com/YrDL/ (battery is disconnected first)

GibsonGM

Doing that on battery power? Weird! 

Check that your 220u cap is connected from + to -, the right way.    You have an oscillation going on; sometimes the problem is in the power supply.  In your case, tho, it may not be.  Batteries don't cause this in the power supply.  So we move on.... 

Can you post your voltages?  At the pins of the MPF102 and TDA.    That might be helpful.   As would a pic of the board itself.   Sometimes wires are routed too close to stuff, etc.       Does moving wires around or poking it change anything?   You sure you got the chip's pinout correct (not upside down, right?).    Transformer is the right way around?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

seadi123

OH . I've got the chip pinout wrong :O what a shame . Thanks GibsonGM :)

GibsonGM

Quote from: seadi123 on February 27, 2014, 01:17:04 PM
OH . I've got the chip pinout wrong :O what a shame . Thanks GibsonGM :)

No problem, glad it worked out!  You figured out how to make a pretty cool oscillator!  :o)    Hard to see those little dots sometimes, isn't it?
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...