Superfuzz signal not neary as fuzzy as it should be!!

Started by nate77, March 04, 2014, 01:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate77

I put together a univox superfuzz on vero per the layout of the guitarFX site, and I'm getting a signal that is definitely less fuzzed up than it should be. I can't post pics yet (I always have trouble with that!) but ican tell you guys a few things about the issue; if I pull out the 1st, 2nd and las transistor the effected signal will not pass through, but the other 3 don't effect the signal in any way when I pull them if the effect is engaged. It leads me to believe that trannies 3, 4 and 5 are being bypassed somehow. I haven't found any solder bridges or shorts anywhere but I assume that something like that is causing this issue. I know that without pics this is shooting in the dark but any insight would be very much appreciated. As soon as I can straighten myself out I'll get some pics up there. Thanks guys

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

nate77

Here is the schematic the layout is drawn from; http://www.univox.org/pics/schematics/superfuzz2.gif and here is the layout; http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gLy8HWE7qQs/TyBDc5__vMI/AAAAAAAAAcg/HiPt_bZl5-w/s1600/Univox+Super-Fuzz.png. I'm out right now but when I have some time later I'll dig up some readings and post them.

nate77

Oddly enough, when I pull the 6th one I lose all signal as well. I'm just delving into the world of reading schematics so I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to dissecting circuits. The reason I think that the signal isn't effectively hitting these 3 stages is because the effected signal sounds isn't nearly as distorted as it should be and as I remove any of q1, q2 or q3, the signal doesn't change. I do get some signal interference when I mess with those trannies, so it seems that some of the signal is following the intended path. It seems like maybe I'm shorting some of the signal after q2 but I'm not sure we're to look specifically. Like I said earlier, ynder scrutiny everything looks quite good, no bridges or bad joints I can see. I have no doubt that it's something silly. I'm really looking forward to firing this up!