New at runoffgroove.com: BRITANNIA

Started by stm, March 05, 2014, 09:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

Glad you liked the clips; I feel like Gary outdid himself nailing those classic riffs.

Even though there is some basic EQ provided in the second output stage, it is not aggressive enough to replace a cab sim (either hardware or software-based).

Gary recorded some other clips going direct in that manner after he finished a build of Britannia using the PCB by 1776. Here's what he wrote:

QuoteI finished mine today. It sounds better than I remember and I remembered it as being pretty damn good! The touch sensitivity still blows me away. I decided to play around and the attached is the aftermath. Just wanking with the completed Britannia. The mindless doodling is not important. The item of note is the signal path. This is the pedal into a direct box -> soundcard -> convolution program using an impulse of a Vox AC30's speakers mic'd with an SM57. No EQ used other than the pedal. A little echo and reverb added after the speaker impulse. All guitars were a strat with a PAF-style bridge pickup.

I can post the clips if anyone is interested.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

scintillation

I'd be interested to hear those clips.

I have a condor breadboarded at the moment, once I've built up a Britannia I'm going to try to the following:

Brittiania upto u1a output, then condor t notch filter onwards.

Then if all sounds good, I'll double it up, add some dual gang pots, and hopefully finally have something to deal with my stereo effects chain...

ubersam

How long, do you think, until a certain "booteeker" releases a pedal based on this? He'll name it something like "Britain Yeah" and put up a video on youtube where he'll explain how he fell in love with this amp and spent years developing the pedal.

Levispeights

Quote from: ubersam on March 27, 2014, 02:37:43 PM
How long, do you think, until a certain "booteeker" releases a pedal based on this? He'll name it something like "Britain Yeah" and put up a video on youtube where he'll explain how he fell in love with this amp and spent years developing the pedal.

I was just going to say the same thing!  :icon_rolleyes:

Brymus

Those clips sound VERY good,excellent job guys!
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

bilo01

I think i love this baby!!!
In my search for the holy grail i think this is it!!
I've always been looking for that  Rory Gallagher sound. In the early days of Taste, Brian May asked Gallagher after a concert: mr. Gallagher, how do you get your sound. Since then he used a Range Master on top of his AC 30.
I'll be ordering materials tonight en start etching tommorrow.
Hell i'm a newby here but i don't care lol
Who is the best guitarist in the world they asked Jimi. Don't know, ask Rory he said.

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

bilo01

Just wondering... What does the added A and C for the pots mean. Is A Audio?
My supplier has only Lin and Log, from Alpha though. Would this matter? And do i have to take Lin or Log?
Who is the best guitarist in the world they asked Jimi. Don't know, ask Rory he said.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: bilo01 on March 28, 2014, 07:23:00 AM
Just wondering... What does the added A and C for the pots mean. Is A Audio?
My supplier has only Lin and Log, from Alpha though. Would this matter? And do i have to take Lin or Log?

A = Log
B = Linear
C = Ani-log or Reverso Log
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

bilo01

bilo01

Wooooooowww. I just gave birth to this pedal and it really blows my socks off. It works from scratch and as a newbee here i like that very much.
I did no tweaking, lack experience for that, but man this baby sounds great!!! It's a must-build.
One issue though: at higher gain settings i've got a hiss, but haven't boxed it yet. Got to finetune the trims also but first impressions are very good!
Thanks guys at runoffgroove for sharing this!!

Yonatan

Hi all,

Looks like a another great project from ROG!  I'm thinking about building it, mainly to be used with headphones use.  What would be a good cab sim to build to go with it?

There are lots of suggestions here,
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=100602.msg885730#msg885730

but I'm not sure which one is the most suitable for the character of the Britannia.  Should it match the speakers of the AC30?

StephenGiles

You may have to rename this if these damn Scots get their way this week!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

bluebunny

Quote from: StephenGiles on September 16, 2014, 03:04:14 AM

???  Is Sebastian Scottish??   ;)  I don't believe that Britannia includes Caledonia.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stm

Quote from: bluebunny on September 16, 2014, 08:40:12 AM

???  Is Sebastian Scottish??   ;)  I don't believe that Britannia includes Caledonia.
Moi?  I'm from a different hemisphere :-)

mac

What about The Welsh?   :icon_mrgreen:

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84