Dumb Question

Started by soupbone, March 07, 2014, 02:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I accidentally spilled some pop on a bunch of caps,and I didn't clean them up real fast like I should have.(I do dumb stuff sometimes.) I was wondering if I can put them in a little Alcohol Bath to get the sticky pop residue off of them.Good Idea,or Bad Idea?

italianguy63

Sealed caps -- discs/dipped. sure!

Electros or box film -- not so sure.  I would just wipe them down but not immerse them.

Where are you from in OK?  My wife is American Indian from Grove.

MC

I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

soupbone

Quote from: italianguy63 on March 07, 2014, 03:48:39 AM

Electros or box film -- not so sure.  I would just wipe them down but not immerse them.

MC

Right on!I've been through Grove many times.I live in Tulsa.

soupbone

Quote from: italianguy63 on March 07, 2014, 03:48:39 AM

MC

I forgot,There were some led's that got drenched.What about those?Thanks!

italianguy63

LED's are sealed plastic-- no problem!
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

italianguy63

Sorry-- I think it is becoming PC day (PCB and "Politically Correct") on DIYSB.com today!  She's "Native American."   ;D

soupbone

Quote from: italianguy63 on March 07, 2014, 05:07:34 AM
Sorry-- I think it is becoming PC day (PCB and "Politically Correct") on DIYSB.com today!  She's "Native American."   
My Fiancee is Cherokee.Some like being called,"Native American",and some like "American Indian". :)

italianguy63

Yeah they have a big branch there.  My wife is "card carrying" Seneca-Cayuga (Iroquois), athough she has probably more Wyandot heritage.  She's not uptight about what she is named...  It's very interesting stuff.

Tony Forestiere

Sugary substances are not alcohol soluble. Probably want to use water for cleaning.
BTW: I lived in the Lawton/Fort Sill area from 1968 to 1976. A cool place to grow up as a kid.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

mth5044

If they heat up, at least you will get tasty, caramel components.

italianguy63

QuoteIf they heat up, at least you will get tasty, caramel components.

And a smooth creamy tone?

PRR

Warm water to get the sugar off. Alcohol rinse to get the water off before tarnish gets worse. Remember these parts were wet and will need added attention when soldering.

Any transistor, resistor, cap (all routinely washed after asembly), but NOT most relays or pots or switches.
  • SUPPORTER

Tony Forestiere

Quote from: PRR on March 07, 2014, 09:26:44 PM
Warm water to get the sugar off. Alcohol rinse to get the water off before tarnish gets worse. Remember these parts were wet and will need added attention when soldering.

Any transistor, resistor, cap (all routinely washed after asembly), but NOT most relays or pots or switches.

+ 1
Warm water is the most gentle solvent.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

soupbone

soupbone

What about Windex?or,is warm water my safest bet?

PRR

> Windex

Ammonia? Eats metals!

You don't have water and a way to warm it?
  • SUPPORTER

Blitz Krieg

soupbone

Quote from: PRR on March 18, 2014, 12:11:59 AM
> Windex

Ammonia? Eats metals!

You don't have water and a way to warm it?
Warm Water it is.

vigilante397

I saw a thread entitled "dumb question" and came (metaphorically) running, but it seems I'm too late. I can throw another +1 on the warm water. Cheers on getting it sorted :)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

soupbone

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 18, 2014, 07:25:33 PM
I saw a thread entitled "dumb question" and came (metaphorically) running, but it seems I'm too late. I can throw another +1 on the warm water. Cheers on getting it sorted :)
Yep!  :icon_biggrin: