Fuzz + Wah compatability

Started by jayfroo, March 09, 2014, 03:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarkill

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 13, 2014, 11:49:36 AM
me too. but fuzz gotta be first. fuzz isn't distortion, it's fuzz!!  :icon_mrgreen:

Actually fuzz is massive distortion where you get almost square waves because the signal is clipped so hard. But who's splitting hairs?  :icon_wink:
just another dude killed by his guitar

pinkjimiphoton

well, if ya wanna get technical about it, of course, BUT the way they "sound" and "react" are very different to actual non-fuzz distortions!!
:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

guitarkill

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 13, 2014, 12:24:06 PM
well, if ya wanna get technical about it, of course, BUT the way they "sound" and "react" are very different to actual non-fuzz distortions!!

Yes, that is true. I'm sure you've read RG's "Technology of the Fuzz" article?  :icon_wink:

pinkjimiphoton

read it? hell, i have it tattoed on my eyelids!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

guitarkill

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 13, 2014, 12:38:25 PM
read it? hell, i have it tattoed on my eyelids!!

Ha ha, you're a diehard fuzz guy. I can tell.

deadastronaut

''if i ever make it to big blighty, i wanna jam with you mate.''

You'll be made very welcome jimi,  i'll have a beer or 2 chilling for ya...and a whisky too man. 8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

jayfroo

Well I put my envelope filter between the two and i guess the buffer got rid of the oscillation. As for fuzz before/after, i think it is definitely preference. I could see myself using each at different times depending on what sound I want.

So my followup question: how can I add a blend knob to mix the wet and dry signals on my fuzz. I was hoping to clean up the output without a drop in volume. I have tried sending wet and dry thru each outside lug on a pot and taking the out put from the center lug. The theory seemed good but i quickly realized that is a recipie for feedback. Is there a simple way to blend in dry with the fuzz's output?

jayfroo

Or is this not done because the signals are out of phase? im not sure if they are

pinkjimiphoton

i built a version of the fender fuzz wah gus had worked up a long time ago, and the blend pot was kinda problematic. i think i was cuzza the phase of the signal. but if you add even a simple gain stage for the clean part, you will (i'd imagine) reverse the phase of the input signal, which should put it back in phase with the fuzzed signal. then a simple pot should work, like say 100k or so... output of clean signal on one side, fuzz on the other and take your mixed output from the wiper.

i'm gonna have to try that on the one i built. the fuzz is great, the clean is nice, but in the middle it's just plain wimpy, tho it sounds great.  :icon_mrgreen:

i may be wrong... hopefully someone far smarter than i can aspire to get to can give better advice.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr