News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

signal issue

Started by daz061, March 12, 2014, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daz061

i have built a phase 90 off tonepad. the problem is no signal from the guitar gets through but if i plug in a cable from my ipod i can hear the music fine, this is strange to me. why can the music be heard but the guitar signal wont. ive checked the guitar cable and its fine. any ideas?

nate77

Do you get any signal when the effect is bypassed or do you have this breadboarded?

daz061

yes signal is fine when effect is off, its breadboarded ye

GGBB

Quote from: daz061 on March 12, 2014, 05:33:46 PMwhy can the music be heard but the guitar signal wont

The iPod signal is probably a lot stronger than the guitar signal.  Do you hear anything at all, however faint?
  • SUPPORTER

daz061

nothing at all guitar wise

aron

When the iPod is plugged in, do you hear phasing????

daz061

no cant say it is actually. component problem maybe?

aron

Did you check voltages on the circuit? Does tone pad give you test points to check the voltages???? It really sounds like there's some sort of power problem.

daz061

i could try that, maybe just try each pin on the ic's and transistors. i will try tomorrow and i will post my findings

GibsonGM

Using the same cable for the ipod and the guitar?  If the guitar cord was shorted, you'd expect what you have.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

aron

When you think about it, assuming the parts are in the right place, making sure the pedal has power is next. Then off board wiring etc...
Triple check the orientation of your parts (electrolytics) and make sure that they are oriented correctly.

daz061

not the same cable.

What i ran from the ipod was just a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack cable that I had.

Its like the guitar signal is somewhat weak and not getting through so like whats been said it could well be power related

nate77

+1  the iPod is powered and it simple sounds like there isn't enough or any power going through the circuit.