True Bypass Wiring???

Started by Canucker, March 13, 2014, 12:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Seeing as there are a few ways to wire up a 3DPT I was wondering what the benefits or drawbacks different ways had.

The following way is what I've been using for most builds....what am I missing out on?

electrosonic

I prefer to  ground the input to the circuit when it is in bypass. Probably doesn't matter one way or the other though.

• SUPPORTER

thelonious

I use a variation on your scheme. I prefer to run ground through the switch for LED instead of 9V. So: top center lug goes to LED cathode, center lug goes to ground, and bottom center lug gets jumpered to top left lug (input of circuit board) so that the effect input gets grounded when bypassed. I forget who here I learned that from, or I would give credit where it's due. Also, I would edit your pic to demonstrate what I mean, but I am lazy.  :D

Pojo

Quote from: thelonious on March 13, 2014, 12:18:05 AM
I use a variation on your scheme. I prefer to run ground through the switch for LED instead of 9V. So: top center lug goes to LED cathode, center lug goes to ground, and bottom center lug gets jumpered to top left lug (input of circuit board) so that the effect input gets grounded when bypassed. I forget who here I learned that from, or I would give credit where it's due. Also, I would edit your pic to demonstrate what I mean, but I am lazy.  :D

+1

This helps against switch pop and eliminates the need for a pull down resistor at the input. So, all the benefits of true bypass and led switching through a 3pdt while taking advantage of the, otherwise, unused lug from the led pole.

Canucker

I had a suspicion it was something along those lines...I stuck my pulldown resistor in the wrong spot on my Small Clone clone and didn't realize it...so i was suspecting that time based effects had to have footswitches wired differently (since there are so many dif. versions shown online)....the one I use is just visually the easiest to see and know where you may have screwed up if you did....so I posted this...then realized my pull down resistor screw up that got me to post in the first place....so my screw up got me to ask the question i had been meaning to ask for a while anyways. Someone around here has gotta put on a tux or at least a three piece suit that I can claim I'm getting formal training in this stuff.  :icon_lol:

GGBB

Here's one way to do what most pedal DIYers do:

There are various ways to configure a switch to functionally do this.  The differences are in where the connections sit on the switch, how many wires and jumpers are soldered to each lug, and in some cases how many switch points a signal has to go through to get to where it needs to.  I like this one because it keeps the wires on the outside of the switch, has no more than one wire (and one jumper in two cases) on each lug (I hate having to solder two wires to these lugs), and because I came up with it myself!   :icon_biggrin:  With this one, adding an extra jumper from the PCB Out lug to the unused lug will ground the PCB output when bypassed.
  • SUPPORTER

kingswayguitar

there was a great thread not long ago that thoroughly discussed this topic very well. i just searched but couldn't find it?? i often do as the OP showed with the real simple wiring arrangement but it has it's drawbacks.

Canucker

Quote from: kingswayguitar on March 13, 2014, 03:50:40 PM
there was a great thread not long ago that thoroughly discussed this topic very well. i just searched but couldn't find it?? i often do as the OP showed with the real simple wiring arrangement but it has it's drawbacks.

drawbacks such as?

bluebunny

Here's my two cents / four penn'orth: I swear by the Tonepad #3 and #5 schemes (here).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

kingswayguitar

Quote from: Canucker on March 13, 2014, 11:06:57 PM
Quote from: kingswayguitar on March 13, 2014, 03:50:40 PM

drawbacks such as?

circuitboard input/output don't get grounded when switched off. never bugged me, but some folks report that causes popping.

deadastronaut

Quote from: bluebunny on March 14, 2014, 04:01:49 AM
Here's my two cents / four penn'orth: I swear by the Tonepad #3 and #5 schemes (here).

me too, tonepad wiring 5.......... 8) no pop at all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//