Plastic jacks enclosure grounding

Started by Luke51411, March 15, 2014, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

I bought some low profile jacks from mouser as recommended in the madbean baby board guide. Since the barrel is plastic the enclosure won't be grounded. Will this cause noise issues or other problems? What is the best way to ground the enclosure when using plastic jacks?

Jdansti

You can wrap a wire around the jack or switch threads on the inside of the enclosure and it will ground the enclosure when you tighten the nut.

You can also screw a lug to the enclosure and solder a ground wire to it.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

armdnrdy

There's a couple of ways to do this.

You can use one of these:

or a regular "star" type lock washer and solder a ground wire to it.

Either one is then inserted on one of the enclosure screws between the enclosure and the bottom plate.

You could also counter sink a small machine screw onto the bottom of the enclosure. The enclosure screws should supply ample continuity to ground.

Edit: As I was writing.....John beat me to the punch.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Kipper4

Something like these would work

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Types-Ring-Crimp-Wire-Terminal-Assortment-Kit-Connector-Vinyl-Insulated-616B-/131140134972?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Connectors_Terminals&hash=item1e888fa83c

There are also solder lugs terminals too

I do what John says and use a bit of wire.

Haha Larry must have got the hop on me as I was typing!!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

merlinb

I solder a wire (connected to circuit ground) to the back of one of the pots.

chi_boy

Quote from: merlinb on March 15, 2014, 06:41:58 PM
I solder a wire (connected to circuit ground) to the back of one of the pots.

I think that's the best solution I've heard yet.  I was using a big solder lug to the stomp switch but I think I'll do this next time.  Thanks!
"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people." — Admiral Hyman G. Rickover - 1900-1986

The Leftover PCB Page

Luke51411

That was my first thought but I have the pots from tayda with the dust cover and I couldn't get it off easily.

armdnrdy

You can't solder too well onto the back of these board mounted pots either!  :icon_eek:

I'll have to check continuity between the side mounting pins and the threaded shaft.

Edit:
It looks like there is continuity so....as long as you can ground the mounting pins....and the nut on the threaded shaft is tight to the enclosure...the enclosure will be grounded.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)