A variable ramp optical tremolo idea...

Started by mrsuspend, March 16, 2014, 07:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsuspend

Hello there Trem-lovers!  :D

A few years ago I played around with DeadAstronauts optical Tiny Tremoloo and got some very nice results.
While doing so I came across this non-sound related project and thought it could potentially make an interesting variable ramp trem.
http://www.pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/555_Breathing_Pulsing_LED/
However I have no proper technical background and am not really capable of turning this schem into a workable veroboard project.
If anyone else would like to have a go feel free! I will just sit quietly in the back and take notes. :)

/Magnus

armdnrdy

There are much better ways to accomplish the same effect without incorporating the notoriously noisy 555 timer.

Most tremolo circuits use a "standard" op amp LFO that produces a square wave.

You can modify the LFO to switch between the square wave and a triangle or saw wave for a smoother ramping effect.

There are LFO circuits that do this on the net. I would bet that there are tremolo projects that include this feature as well.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

mrsuspend

I agree the 555 can be very clicky and takes a bit of fiddling.
I just found it interesting as I don't think I've seen a freely variable tremolo.

/Magnus