LEGO for guitarists

Started by emil, March 19, 2014, 11:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emil

So, I will provide information about the pinout, so you will have a block with connector and breadboard or solder board on it with all instructions to build something inside and put it into the chain.

However, we plan to put SEND/RECEIVE block also.

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 17, 2015, 10:40:21 PM
But if the blocks are designed with breadboard-designed pins (which they seem to be, at least at this point) then why could we just plug them into a regular breadboard and jumper them into a DIY circuit? We just need to know which pins of which block plug in where, run a couple wires and we're set. Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I really feel like this could be kind of a DIY/average player hybrid appeal. It's only as simple as you make it. Do you want to build a tubescreamer that you can tweak a little bit without having to learn how to solder? Great, this kit can do it. Do you want to experiment with different stages to create something completely original that no one has ever heard before? Fantastic, between this kit and the breadboard you already have you're 100% covered.

GGBB

Quote from: vigilante397 on February 17, 2015, 10:40:21 PMwithout having to learn how to solder

I agree there is that aspect of it that would appeal to as you say a "DIY/average player hybrid," but ultimately where does that lead to and how long does it last? It's not something that I'd feel comfortable using live (too big anyway) so it really is just for experimental use. How long can you experiment before you want to build something you could actually use? I think ultimately this has only short term appeal - interest either dies off or user learns how to solder and breadboard and moves on. I think it would have more long lasting appeal if it complimented breadboarding rather than served only as a starting point beforehand.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

I'm not sure why I feel so strongly like I need to defend this idea (probably my undying love for Legos :icon_rolleyes:), but I agree there is a point at which someone will say "Alright, I'm ready to have something I want to keep," and this isn't going to be enough. I've tried for the past couple minutes to think of a solid response to that and find myself unable to do so. So I think this might be a very useful kit to get someone interested in DIY effects. Maybe sell them this kit and say "When you're tired of this, you should check out Small Bear's Bare Box," and then when they're sick of that sell them some bulk vero boards and tell them to go nuts, then when they're sick of that introduce them to Tonepad and get them some ferric and copper clad, and finally when they're sick of that they'll get a breadboard, Eagle PCB software, and an account with OSH Park :P I tend to oversimplify things, but I feel like that's the progression I've been going along.

Summary: This would be an excellent tool for someone that thought pedal building was something only huge companies did, to show them that it's not really that hard to make something great sounding and totally usable yourself. Will the novelty and usefulness wear off? Sure. But hopefully this will give them enough of a taste for DIY that they want to go further into it, and let it consume them like it has all of us :P
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

emil

Hey guys, we stopped on the following 12 modules for version 1.0

What do you think?

~arph

What is the difference between volume and attenuate?
Plus what is the difference between Tone, and lowpass-highpass?
Plus, lowpas, high pass, tone, eq... seems a bit erm.. Tone control centered.

emil

Good question. We plan to use a switch for the attenuator module that will select resistor dividers, but we are not sure wheter this is a good or a bad approach. This is one of the reason we ask. In order to have a really good product we should fulfill customers' expectations.

You are rigth about the low/high pass. They are almost like Tone but not exacty sicne the tone is passive module and cannot cover frequency cuts like the active LPFs and HPFs. You can use HPF if you want to cut the very hights and LPF if you want to cut the very lows but pass everything else. Again we are checking against people's perception. We also found that cctive filters are not always the best approach, so we will try with different stuff. Again, the goal is to ask for opinions.

Sorry for the language. I may not explain well.

Quote from: ~arph on March 09, 2015, 11:18:00 AM
What is the difference between volume and attenuate?
Plus what is the difference between Tone, and lowpass-highpass?
Plus, lowpas, high pass, tone, eq... seems a bit erm.. Tone control centered.

~arph

Mmm..

Apart from whether there will actually be enough interest in this I would also like to see some modular modulation blocks. (apart from the EQ and distortion block) all conrtolled via a control voltage (CV) so you can tie stuff together..

Like:

1. Envelope follower (with CV out )
2. LFO ( with CV out )
3. CV sequencer.
4. Manual CV control
5. CV controlled delay.

And then have CV controlled building blocks, like a VCA (for tremolo etc.), and voltage controlled filters ( HP, LP, BP )
And perhaps also a VCO.

Maybe you should take a look at modular synths.

emil

We started a crowdfunding campaign yesterday. Get more info here: http://bit.ly/1Mv71DF
$1 can make a difference.

BPGryzor

I love the idea, I just hope you have a patent application on file.  A patent lawyer once gave me some advice on protecting intellectual property. 
When you create something you want to patent/copyright/register heed the words of Gandalf, "Keep it secret, Keep it safe"  It is vulnerable until your application status goes from "filed" to "accepted" (That is where the phrase 'Patent Applied For' originates)  DO NOT DISCUSS/DESIGN/PROTOTYPE/TEST/BUILD/POLL/BRAINSTORM etc. etc. with anyone that isn't a partner unless they have signed some sort of confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement, and even that isn't bulletproof.  Anyone you discuss your project with may voluntarily or involuntarily contribute something that influences the final product.  This potentially gives them a claim to part of the patent rights.  DO NOT POST YOUR IDEAS ON THE INTERNET!!!  Along with sharing your ideas with colleagues, posting on the internet can sabotage your patent application if the subject of the application is ruled part of "Public Domain"
There is a whole laundry list (which is why people spend 8 years in college to get their JD)  so I highly recommend consulting with a patent attorney if you haven't, and starting up a kickstarter to raise the $2-$3k minimum needed to apply for a patent through an attorney.
Best of Luck!