Need Some Help Deciding!

Started by fuzzyhead, March 20, 2014, 11:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzyhead

Hey, I need some help deciding... I've been looking around the past few days at some kits from "buildyourownclone.com", "mammothelectronics" etc. I've seen some kits that I'm interested in but can't decide what to get. I'm just wondering what you recommend/like and I may be really interested in it too. I already have a fuzz and compressor. I know its about preference but I would be glad to here any recommendations.

Thanks Guys!   

duck_arse

sounds like what you need is a breadboard, and a "list". everyone here has a list, and we all just keep adding to it. nothing really ever seems to come off the list, because it never gets any smaller.

this is probably no help .....
don't make me draw another line.

Mark Hammer

Depends what you want to get out of it.  Some DIY project manuals can be more in the direction of solder this here, solder that there, now fire it up.  Others can be more in the direction of explaining why  this component is used here, and what changing its value would result in.  If you want to get to a working pedal the fastest possible the first is preferred, and if you want to learn stuff along the way, the second is preferred.

LucifersTrip

I think the OP was asking for specific pedal recommendations...If only a fuzz & compressor are out of the way, that leaves way too much.

It'd probably be better to ask for recommendations for a specific type of pedal.  Hell, I wouldn't move on until I built one of each of the common types of fuzzes, especially if you chose fuzzyhead as your name
always think outside the box

fuzzyhead

Actually I chose fuzzyhead because a friend of mine a giving out nicknames to be people at a youth group night and I got fuzzyhead because of my hair. Lol

I have a fuzz and compressor. I thinking of going with a phase or something funky.

GibsonGM

Tremulous Lune is a good trem to start with....Easyvibe (too complex to breadboard, IMO, just go for it!).  Depends on your build experience.
A basic phase is probably within reach...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

pappasmurfsharem

BSIAB2

Must do DIY if you like dirt boxes
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

electrosonic

If you have a tube amp, having a booster at the end of your signal chain is great. You can get a little more dirt at lower volumes or push your amp over the edge for solos.

A simple mosfet booster will do the trick and they are dirt simple to make.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

vigilante397

I used to use nothing but multi-effects boards because I was convinced I needed a million different effects, but when I started building my own I had a pretty short list of what I realistically needed to replace my big board:

Overdrive/Distortion (ended up with a Proco RAT, but have plans for a Centaur Klon when the parts get here)
Delay (Mad Professor Deep Blue - trickiest build I've ever done, still has a small bug in it, but usable anyway)
Reverb (Box of Hall - amazing sounding spring reverb simulation)

I later added a Lotus Snowjob Underdrive, which I highly recommend. Most don't even know what underdrive is, but it's a super simple build and it adds a lot to the sound.

If you have access to a lot of components (I'm studying electrical engineering at school and have free access to a rather large stock) then I would say build anything that tickles your fancy. If you like it, box it and keep it. Don't like it? Scrap it and move on :)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

MaxPower

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson