G-string production PCBs?

Started by nate77, March 20, 2014, 02:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nate77

I'd love to build a g-string decimator and I don't have the ability to etch my own PCBs. I know that this would be a MONSTER vero project and I am of no use making vero layouts. Does anyone have any info or links to anything other than the PCB etch file?

Kipper4

You could follow a pcb layout and do a monster perfboard layout.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

nate77

Oh man, that is true. What a daunting task. To be honest, I was being lazy and realllllly hoping someone else would have tackled this beast, and I could find something verified. If I whipped this up myself, considering the size of the task an circuit, I would never be able to verify it!! Maybe I'll take a few shots of Jack and find some extra courage and give it a run.....

vigilante397

I definitely have the PCB etch file and BOM, if you change your mind :P

We have a machine at school that etches PCB's, but I haven't quite figured out how to use it :P I'll let everyone know once I do and maybe I'll start selling boards to help pay for schooling  :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

No luck on PCB production, but a little digging found me a vero layout. Doesn't exactly look fun to build, but I've seen worse :)

EDIT: After looking at it again, I'm having trouble remembering any vero layout I've seen that's worse :P

Good luck  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

nate77

That is a monster!!! I may give it a shot. The g-string decimator is a bit more complicated; additional jacks, etc., I may tackle this beast but I can't imagine having to vero up one of those. Thanks guys, I'll keep looking (and waiting..)

lars-musik

If you want a G-String on vero, you'll need the G-String addon-board:  http://diy-layout.com/75
And whyever not? It's spring time and therefore exactly the time of year for some lonely hours spent in the basement with your soldering iron. And the lovely debugging sessions afterwards.

vigilante397

Quote from: lars-musik on March 21, 2014, 06:41:54 AM
And whyever not? It's spring time and therefore exactly the time of year for some lonely hours spent in the basement with your soldering iron. And the lovely debugging sessions afterwards.

That's exactly how I plan on spending my spring  ;D
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

nate77

Ah, perfect! I didn't realize this had been drawn up. I'll start working on this bad boy, and see if I can't have this monster debugged by summer! Thanks man

decibel_jr

My two cents...Just finished troubleshooting my Decimator vero (no g-string) and it was well worth it! In near future, i will be going with a pcb of
the G-string version so that i can add "intelligent polarity protection"  like here http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/cheapgoodprot.htm
to protect all that work. I love this thing!! :)
Guitars: Carvin DC-125, Schecter C7 SLS Black Jack, Memphis(Yamaha clone) Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Acoustic Electric
Basses: Kramer Forum IV Bass
Pedals: Arion SCH-1(Vintage);Ehx Dr Q(Vintage); Dr Boogie, JH1 CryBaby w/Red Fasel/true bypass, Zoom MS-50G

wavley

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 21, 2014, 01:19:22 AM

EDIT: After looking at it again, I'm having trouble remembering any vero layout I've seen that's worse :P

Good luck  ;D

It gets worse...  ;)

Quote from: digi2t on April 09, 2013, 10:20:54 AM
Said I would do it... and I did. Here ya go folks.

Unverified until built, but matches the verified schematic from R.G. Keen's build document. Should work fine. Use the GEOFEX build document for all the off board wiring, and for the switches, pots, and whatever else that isn't on the vero BOM.

NOTE: I used two 100uF caps in the power section, instead of four 47uF caps as required in the build doc. Use whatever suits you, spacewise. I'm also using 1 watt resistors for the LED's, instead of all those 1/4 watters in the build doc.

Everything here is also available in the Gallery.

That's it... I'm stickin' a fork in this sucker. :P
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

nate77

Wow, really? 155 cuts? That's wild. I thought the decimator was a pretty lofty project, but this is just crazy. Nice work man. I would consider undertaking this bad boy just to see if I could do it but just looking at it, I'm terrified of the debugging process and the offboard wiring. That really is impressive man

Ben N

M2C: If you don't want to etch a project like this, do it on perf, not vero. It will be smaller, and you can more or less follow the schematic or pcb layout, which you cannot do with vero. And no cuts.
  • SUPPORTER

wavley

Quote from: nate77 on August 19, 2014, 11:43:18 PM
Wow, really? 155 cuts? That's wild. I thought the decimator was a pretty lofty project, but this is just crazy. Nice work man. I would consider undertaking this bad boy just to see if I could do it but just looking at it, I'm terrified of the debugging process and the offboard wiring. That really is impressive man

I can't take credit for that one, that lunatic digi2t is the one that built the ludwig on vero, I wimped out and built it on one of the prefabbed pcbs.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

digi2t

Quote from: wavley on August 20, 2014, 09:17:29 AM
Quote from: nate77 on August 19, 2014, 11:43:18 PM

I can't take credit for that one, that lunatic digi2t is the one that built the ludwig on vero, I wimped out and built it on one of the prefabbed pcbs.

I'll take the "Lunatic" moniker, and wear it proudly, as my badge of honor.

BTW, the Infinitphase vero is verified, built, and I dare say, much more work than the Luddy if you consider that it's three boards in total, and miles of offboard wiring.

I haven't built the Ludwig vero yet, I only did the layout. Maybe one day.

wavely bro... there's no dishonor in wimping out in the face of such madness. You simply live to fight another day. :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

wavley

Quote from: digi2t on August 20, 2014, 02:18:40 PM

I'll take the "Lunatic" moniker, and wear it proudly, as my badge of honor.

I meant it to be worn as a badge of honor!

Quote from: digi2t on August 20, 2014, 02:18:40 PM
BTW, the Infinitphase vero is verified, built, and I dare say, much more work than the Luddy if you consider that it's three boards in total, and miles of offboard wiring.

I haven't built the Ludwig vero yet, I only did the layout. Maybe one day.

wavely bro... there's no dishonor in wimping out in the face of such madness. You simply live to fight another day. :icon_lol:

I knew there was another completely insane vero you did, I just couldn't remember what it was.  You're right, that one is way crazier than the ludwig.

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

nate77

Mum absolutely terrified just looking at it. The thought of attempting to fire it up the first time (while my heart trembles uncontrollably) and having it not pass any signal (even though I've convinced myself, "this will probably fire right up") is causing me anxiety as I write this. You are impressively insane sir.

digi2t

The trick to having it fire up on the first try?

Do the layout, and back trace it to the verified schematic...

until you can do it three times in a row, without finding an error.

The days, weeks, months it may take to get the layout right, will save you tons of debugging headaches.

Of course, I did the Infinitphase without knowing if the schematic was righteous or not. That is what insanity is all about, isn't it?  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

alparent

Quote from: vigilante397 on March 21, 2014, 01:10:53 AM
I definitely have the PCB etch file and BOM, if you change your mind :P

We have a machine at school that etches PCB's, but I haven't quite figured out how to use it :P I'll let everyone know once I do and maybe I'll start selling boards to help pay for schooling  :icon_twisted:

Could you send me those files?
bapccour@yahoo.ca

I'm working on a layout to get a run of PCBs of this produced for nate77 and would like to check your files.

Thanks

nate77