I hate it when I only have the pots I need in different mounting styles...

Started by Luke51411, March 21, 2014, 10:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

It's annoying when I find that I have one 90 degree board mount pot and 2 solder lug pots or similar for a project that fits best in a box with 90 degree board mount. I've also found I prefer board mount so I don't have to worry about how to support the board but I still have a lot of solder lug pots... So I came up with a solution! I'm sure many of you have used this method before but it's a revelation to me so I figured I'd post. Maybe another newb will benefit.
I figured out that you can turn solder lug pots into board mount pretty easily either straight in or 90 degree. I just stripped some solid wire and soldered it onto the lugs as board mount pins! It works quite well. Not as good as the real thing I'm sure but it sure beats adding different pots to your tayda cart only to forget why you ordered them by the time they arrive. Instant gratification is key. :icon_cool:
Here is the result

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Luke51411 on March 21, 2014, 10:01:05 PM
It's annoying when I find that I have one 90 degree board mount pot and 2 solder lug pots or similar for a project that fits best in a box with 90 degree board mount. I've also found I prefer board mount so I don't have to worry about how to support the board but I still have a lot of solder lug pots... So I came up with a solution! I'm sure many of you have used this method before but it's a revelation to me so I figured I'd post. Maybe another newb will benefit.
I figured out that you can turn solder lug pots into board mount pretty easily either straight in or 90 degree. I just stripped some solid wire and soldered it onto the lugs as board mount pins! It works quite well. Not as good as the real thing I'm sure but it sure beats adding different pots to your tayda cart only to forget why you ordered them by the time they arrive. Instant gratification is key. :icon_cool:
Here is the result

I do this as well since I pretty much use tayda pots exclusively. I used the small bear kit as a reference and bought all the equivalent numbers from tayda.

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

haveyouseenhim

I bought some thick solid wire for this very reason. It works with the short pcb mount pins. I just bend em 90 degrees and extend em with the wire.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

armdnrdy

I've performed  a little retrofit surgery when I can't find the correct right angle.

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Luke51411

Nice! I like the vero extension! I'll have to try that sometime.

GGBB

A very handy trick indeed:

I can never seem to get exactly the pots I want, so I often end up having to adapt.  I prefer buying solder lug pots just because they are more flexible when you use this trick.
  • SUPPORTER

Luke51411

I might go back to that strategy PC mounts fit so tight into vero and perf I probably spend as much time installing them then realizing I forgot something underneath and removing as it takes to modify a solder lug pot ::)

armdnrdy

Quote from: Luke51411 on March 22, 2014, 11:47:35 AM
PC mounts fit so tight into vero and perf

Before I install the pins into the vero holes, I give the holes a quick "run through" with a carbide drill bit....spinning the drill bit by hand. Problem solved.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)