Wah circuit moved to stompbox with nothing but woes.

Started by Nocaster Cat, March 21, 2014, 11:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nocaster Cat

I've moved a Cry Baby type wah circuit into a stompbox so I can do fixed wah tones a la Michael Schenker and I'm having some noise issues. When the wah circuit is built into a standard wah shell and wired for true bypass with a DPDT, there's no click/thunk/etc. noise when I switch the pedal on and off. When I move the circuit into a stomp format wired for true bypass with a 3PDT switch, I get a very loud "thwock" when I switch the pedal on that changes timbre depending on where the pot is set. It's more noticeable in the lower registers but always there. At first I thought it might be the addition of a LED but it still does it without one. It's not leaky caps, I've replaced them several times. I did go online and watch YouTube demos of a Rocktron pedal that does essentially the same thing and the same issue is there (although quieter) so I'm curious...why does goes from a standard wah shell to a stompbox cause this to happen?

???

emil

Do you use the same switch and switching circuit? I think the problem comes from the 'migration' to true bypass circuit. I will suggest you to build the exact switching circuit that is the original and try it. After you are absolutely sure that it works as it should be - replace the switch.

Focalized

If I click my wah on with my finger and the pedal mid-way I get a thonk like you say. The wah produces a resonant peak through out its sweep. If you switch on with your foot it's masked at the treble down side. So a normal switch pop would be more pronounced. Maybe a more complex pull-down resistor can be recommended?

emil

Obviously on the original wah you don't hear the click just because it is always on down position of the pedal - the bass is filtered. At the moment we are doing some research with my colleague on bypasses. Can you post the exact schematic of your connection.

Nocaster Cat

Quote from: emil on March 22, 2014, 03:10:14 AM
Do you use the same switch and switching circuit? I think the problem comes from the 'migration' to true bypass circuit. I will suggest you to build the exact switching circuit that is the original and try it. After you are absolutely sure that it works as it should be - replace the switch.

Emil...there's no switching circuit. They're both wired for true bypass, the only difference being the full size wah uses a Carling DPDT while the pedal uses a 3PDT.

emil

By switching circuit I mean the circuit how the switch is connected.