What's this for? (DS-1)

Started by notneb, March 22, 2014, 01:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notneb

On the DS-1 as pictured here, http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/45612216/23432455/hangszer/boss/boss_super-overdrive-sd1.pdf_1.png, what is the bottom portion of the circuit, below the gain and tone stages doing?  I'm specifically talking about the portion from the 2 parallel 1N418 diodes coming off of the gates of the 2SK230As on down. I see that it's coming from the on\off switch. I've seen this type of circuit, but can't remember-figure out what it's for.
Life's too short to deal with crappy tone.

drolo

That's the switching arrangement. There is good info about boss style switching systems at geofex.com if you want to dig further into that :-)

notneb

emil

It is not DS-1 schematic. It seems like OD-1

notneb

oops, my bad. Thought it was the DS. Correction noted.

notneb

Hmmm, found that schematic on Elektro Tanya website, http://elektrotanya.com/boss_super-overdrive-sd1.pdf/download.html Says sd-1. oh well, I was more concerned about the switching circuit (see what I learned there?) than the actual pedal.

Ice-9

Yeah, As Drolo says, its part of the bypass circuit. It is called a flip-flop or monostable and on pressing the momentary footswitch changes the state on the of each transistor from on to off for each successive press of the pedal. When one transistor is conducting the other is turned off and vice versa, this in turn changes the state of both FETs to either conduct or not conduct allowing the audio signal to either pass or be blocked.

This bypass system eradicates to the most all the pop and click that the so called 'Superior' true bypass system fails to address.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Lurco

Quote from: Ice-9 on March 22, 2014, 03:52:50 PM
Yeah, As Drolo says, its part of the bypass circuit. It is called a flip-flop or monostable and on pressing the momentary footswitch changes the state on the of each transistor from on to off for each successive press of the pedal. When one transistor is conducting the other is turned off and vice versa, this in turn changes the state of both FETs to either conduct or not conduct allowing the audio signal to either pass or be blocked.

This bypass system eradicates to the most all the pop and click that the so called 'Superior' true bypass system fails to address.

Flip-fliop is what is call BI-stable. http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/waveforms/bistable.html

notneb

Ha! I knew I saw it before. Yeah, it's right there in my school books. Couldn't remember where. That's one of the reasons I wanted to start building pedals. I'm a year into electronics school and I hate memorizing just for the sake of memorizing. If I don't DO something with all the formulas and equations I'm jamming into my head, it just gets all garbled up and it just floats off into the air. This is a great way to make it make sense. Thanx guys.