Rehousing danelectro CTO-1 no signal when engaged :/

Started by bluesjammin, March 22, 2014, 11:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesjammin

Quote from: duck_arse on March 25, 2014, 10:38:07 AM
you're geting there! what you really need is a circuit diagram, which will tell you and us where the volts go, and what we expect them to be doing. it is good to see you have battery volts on the board, but random other voltages tell us not much. if you get any voltages above battery volts, you know you're doing something wrong.

found this schematic on the interwebs.
'Here's the schematic for the Danelectro Transparent Overdrive. Just change the 2 power filter caps to 100uf and that's it !!"

HOTTUBES

DC volts on the board is good n all , but if your not getting a guitar signal its all for nothing imo .
I would plug in a guitar , using your meter , see if you are receiving a signal on the board as well ...

bluesjammin

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 25, 2014, 09:33:49 PM
DC volts on the board is good n all , but if your not getting a guitar signal its all for nothing imo .
I would plug in a guitar , using your meter , see if you are receiving a signal on the board as well ...
plugged in guitar. no output but getting same volt readings on board as before (9.46V/ 5.29V etc).

bluesjammin

Quote from: duck_arse on March 25, 2014, 10:38:07 AM
you're geting there! what you really need is a circuit diagram, which will tell you and us where the volts go, and what we expect them to be doing. it is good to see you have battery volts on the board, but random other voltages tell us not much. if you get any voltages above battery volts, you know you're doing something wrong.
do you have an empty jack-plug, no wires soldered? if so, power off, meter to ohms or continuity/beep, plug your mt plug into a socket. you can see the outer/sleeve/ground/shield/earth connection, so the other is tip or signal/hot. one probe there, and poke the other on the contacts of the socket, until you find 0 Ohms reading. that is the tip connection for that socket. do the same for the sleeve, to make sure, and write all these pin-findings on a diagram as you go.

follow you tip connections (from each of the sockets) to the footswitch, then from the f/s to the circuit board. draw the diagram. work the footswitch and see what eventuates. that ought to keep you going for a while .....

thanks duck,
found the Tips on the jacks. when finding the sleeves it gave me zero reading on BOTH non Tip lugs. Tip read 1.00. So which is sleeve??
here is my amazing wire up diagram as it stands right now.

bluesjammin

SOLVED!!!!!!!

been researching actually the how to on this stuff haha. thanks to you guys and watching a few of this fellow Aussies youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhSotfKZEE&index=13&list=PLA9F39CBD2060BBF2

i found that the Tip of the OUT jack was shorting to the ground/sleeve of the IN jack. (which i learned was a big nono!)
i just unsoldered the wire i had going to the sleeve of the Input jack!
Theres nothing like getting lost with a dead pedal to help out your diy skillz in the pedal modding world!!!
now to the rehousing part.....
thanks again guys ;)

vigilante397

Quote from: bluesjammin on March 26, 2014, 12:20:42 AM
SOLVED!!!!!!!

Just when I was about to step in and suggest an audio probe :P Cheers on getting it sorted though :)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

... and I was going to say you might have a tip-ring-and-sleeve socket. when you in-plug yr normal mono plug, the extra "ring" connection (for stereo) shorts to the sleeve. this is also the method of power switching.

but, seeing as you've solved the prob, I won't bore you.

where in au are you?

[edit: ] oh, and good work. nice diagram.
don't make me draw another line.

bluesjammin