Would these work good for FF,more old Ge's found

Started by Brymus, March 23, 2014, 01:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brymus

I bought this old organ because the guy said it used light bulbs not transistors.
Anyway it is full of what look like small x-mas lights but it also has these GE Ge trannies,as well as some old Si trannies (I think)
The organ works and the Leslie sounds really nice,some new caps would probly help so I am wondering.
Does anyone have experience using the old GE top hat Ge's?
Or have some data sheets for them,I have searched the web and all I can find is similiar ones for sell at EBay but no specs.
I was wondering if they are worth scrapping the organ for to build FF and Tonebenders or,should I leave it intact as it sill works good?
I cant even find a schematic,for the organ but suspect,it uses 25-35V for the PA and +/-  (15-18V) for the rest.
Because the PA is real close to my old Hammond(Dolphin) I scrapped which is what it used,it was just slightly newer and used all Si trannies but all CC resistors.

I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

LucifersTrip

I've used many of those, especially 2N527.  These had great gains for a FF (around 75 hfe with low leakage).

But you really never know until you pull them. It is very common that the hfe's are less than 50.

ps: the button style b&w ones are silicon
always think outside the box

duck_arse

hmmm, and those "orange things" (I asked in the other thread) appear to be sprague thick-film modules, somewhat like the ones used in fuzz rites. whether the are functionally the same ...... flip-flops maybe?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Brymus

Quote from: LucifersTrip on March 23, 2014, 05:26:25 AM
I've used many of those, especially 2N527.  These had great gains for a FF (around 75 hfe with low leakage).
But you really never know until you pull them. It is very common that the hfe's are less than 50.

ps: the button style b&w ones are silicon
OK thats good to know,I will look and see what the GE Ge trannies  are numbered.
Quote from: duck_arse on March 23, 2014, 11:14:29 AM
hmmm, and those "orange things" (I asked in the other thread) appear to be sprague thick-film modules, somewhat like the ones used in fuzz rites. whether the are functionally the same ...... flip-flops maybe?
I thought they were either resistor or capacitor arrays,IDK they are labeled Sprague.
I will look for some part numbers on them too.
Its a real debate whether to scrap it or not,the Leslie with the 10" alnico has a very awesome sound to it.
I pulled the 12" spkr (from the main amp) and tried it.it is nice sounding nice break up crisp highs.
The PA could be retro fitted as well as the Leslie and 12" spkr and tons of CC resistors with long leads on term strips,the Ge trannies,ect
But the organ actually works well and is in tune,the reason I scrapped the Hammond is because it had half the voices out of tune...
But it didnt have nearly as much usable parts inside as this Baldwin does.

A schematic for the Baldwin would be so helpful,but even on organ forums I cant find one.
And some old GE data sheets would help too,I guess I could read some voltages then pull a couple Ge's from a low voltage circuit and measure the Hfe
Anyone have any other thoughts?
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience