gotta "experience" pedal....

Started by pinkjimiphoton, March 23, 2014, 10:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rousejeremy

The Anthony Leo fuzz addition to the RX Experience kinda works on other pedals too.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

DougH

Cool stuff, guys. I always wondered what this sounded like.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

pinkjimiphoton

gonna probably be on hiatus til after the move with this... sucks, i really wanna get it rockin'
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

kaycee

Quote from: R.G. on March 24, 2014, 09:57:48 AM
OK, found it. The swell effect was on the output to the amp, and depended on biasing the input tube off. This did not work right with (1) non-tube amps (2) tube amps with an input cap and (3) less than perfect battery voltage.

R.G, so this is the schemo for the Experience unit? and not you're revision that they didn't use? Therefore this still suffers from the limitations you outlined. A version of this that works more predicably would be a really nice add on for a lot of fuzz circuits i think.

JebemMajke

What tranies are in the original unit?

R.G.

Quote from: kaycee on March 28, 2014, 05:26:39 AM
R.G, so this is the schemo for the Experience unit? and not you're revision that they didn't use? Therefore this still suffers from the limitations you outlined. A version of this that works more predicably would be a really nice add on for a lot of fuzz circuits i think.
Best I remember, this is the base pedal. I didn't find any of my mods. A fair number of the participants here were not born when I did that   :icon_eek:  and it was before I started a more disciplined backup policy. I fear I'd have to go try to re-create it.

But even then, it would not remove the fundamental issue with the "swell" feature. The swell effect depends on the DC shift of the output pin of the A. Leo section with signal, and how that changes the operation of an amp input direct coupled to a tube grid inside an amplifier. Not a tube amp? Won't work. Got a capacitor in series with the input jack inside the amp? Won't work.

The DC shift quirk was a lucky finding that works in special cases. Messing with improving this a lot is like trying to polish a t- ... er, clod of dirt.   :icon_biggrin: in that vast amounts of polish yield limited results.

Quote from: JebemMajke on March 30, 2014, 09:31:21 AM
2N3904.  I saw a second unit at one time that used NTE123's - which are NTE's answer to every random NPN in a TO-92 package. It's a Fox Tone Machine with an afterburner. See "Fox Tone Machine" for tinkering.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

pinkjimiphoton

yep. 2n3904. get 'em at radio shack. mine, i'm waiting on the switch... my last order the computer glitched, and i got solder lug dpdt's instead of pcb mount.

but lawrence at bitcheslovemyswitches took care of me instantly on the glitch, so i should be running soon. if i do, i may replace a couple things on my board with it instead of flipping it.

RG.... latching switches, i'd assume, right? i don't know how to tell just from looking at the schematic yet. someone tried to change the octave on/off switch with a momentary and ruined the traces  on the top of the board. i'll have to jumper point to point, no big deal i can see where they all went and had the sense for once to draw out the traces on that part so it should be an easy fix hopefully.

i do not think footswitches should be mounted on circuit boards like they did... one teeny bit off with the nut closest to the switch, and the board can get flexed and make it break down.

i DID mod the "sustain" out to 500k instead of 100k already. it seems a worthy modification, and spreads out the control nicely while giving just a little extra range.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

kaycee

Thanks R.G, I understand. I might knock up a little vero module of the swell section and see if it works on any of my amps. If by luck it does then I'll try a few different drivers in front and see if any thing tickles my fancy? I have an idea the Bosstone might be cool. Thanks?

JebemMajke

Quote from: R.G. on March 30, 2014, 09:57:54 AM
Quote from: kaycee on March 28, 2014, 05:26:39 AM
Best I remember, this is the base pedal. I didn't find any of my mods. A fair number of the participants here were not born when I did that   :icon_eek:  and it was before I started a more disciplined backup policy. I fear I'd have to go try to re-create it.

But even then, it would not remove the fundamental issue with the "swell" feature. The swell effect depends on the DC shift of the output pin of the A. Leo section with signal, and how that changes the operation of an amp input direct coupled to a tube grid inside an amplifier. Not a tube amp? Won't work. Got a capacitor in series with the input jack inside the amp? Won't work.

The DC shift quirk was a lucky finding that works in special cases. Messing with improving this a lot is like trying to polish a t- ... er, clod of dirt.   :icon_biggrin: in that vast amounts of polish yield limited results.

Quote from: JebemMajke on March 30, 2014, 09:31:21 AM
2N3904.  I saw a second unit at one time that used NTE123's - which are NTE's answer to every random NPN in a TO-92 package. It's a Fox Tone Machine with an afterburner. See "Fox Tone Machine" for tinkering.

I will try 2n3904 and bc 550c's

I've tried to replicate it a year ago, and it did work ... sort of ...

It was Foxx tone > Leo swell > Fetzer ... and it did work. It preferred hums over singles. Also with more gain driving it, swell worked fantastic. For instance pushing it with FF worked really (s)well :)

But I've used 2sc828 tranies.

Sound was really good.

I've gave it to a friend. But he had similar issues with swell circuit that i had. And that is that it onlu works when the swell pot is at max. Everything else didn't make any difference.