Sound cutting out = loose connections?

Started by jpflyers, March 23, 2014, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpflyers

Hi, I'm getting back into building pedals, and put together a zvex super hard on clone. When I move the board around, the effect can cut in and out, leading me to believe that one of the connections to the board isn't solid. Is that correct?

GibsonGM

Quote from: jpflyers on March 23, 2014, 12:37:53 PM
Hi, I'm getting back into building pedals, and put together a zvex super hard on clone. When I move the board around, the effect can cut in and out, leading me to believe that one of the connections to the board isn't solid. Is that correct?

Could be, it's pretty likely.  Another source of that junk is something touching something else - a short.   Try to isolate the problem by 'wiggling' one wire at a time.  We call that "chopsticking" - you can use a chopstick, pencil, etc.    Maybe one of your wires will give you the cutout, or a crackle, and you'll know what to re-solder.

Watch that nothing is touching the solder side of the BOARD, causing the symptoms, too.  Or that a ground connection isn't loose....try wiggling the plugs when in the jacks, too, just in case...

Once in a great while, a wire can be broken INSIDE, under the insulation (not common, but hey...), too.   Rare, it's much more likely to be one of the above.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

(^ first post, gibson, don't forget to say welcome.)
don't make me draw another line.

GibsonGM

Good eye, DA!!!!   

Hi JPFLYERS, and WELCOME to DIY Stompboxes! 

When I saw you'd written "...getting back into building pedals", I assumed you might have had another name on here and know the drill.   But maybe not, so dig in and have fun!   All questions are good questions, and there is much to learn here. 
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...