Reading schematics and turn the to product

Started by kitarmen, March 26, 2014, 03:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitarmen

Hello, i am an beginner and this is my first post. I have the following problem. I am familiar with signs on schematics and what they mean, but how to read schematics from start to begining. i know the simbols but i allways lose myselfe in so many lines and signs. Where do you start and finish? The other question is, how to turn scheme in to practical product? I asumme the order is the same as reading, from start to finish, or not?

Blitz Krieg

Schematics often leave out critical information to make the most important information clear.

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box

kitarmen

I noticed that layouts like images below are far more easy to read and understand. Where do you start? On input, output, power source...?

Jdansti

It depends on what your goal is.  If the goal is to understand how little bits of matter are connected on a final product, the the layout is easier to read.

If your goal is to understand what each little bit of matter does and how each interacts with the other little bits of matter connected to it, then the schematic explains this better.

Have you read Lucifer's link? http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/SchematicToReality/

It explains how to read a schematic. As for how all of the symbols that represent the little bits of matter interact with each other, you need to learn some electronics theory.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Keeb

Quote from: kitarmen on March 26, 2014, 05:14:34 AM
I noticed that layouts like images below are far more easy to read and understand. Where do you start? On input, output, power source...?

Those layouts depict the final product so they are easier to understand in some aspects (for example that layout shows four pots, the schematic will also show four pots but you will need to more time to identify and count them). A schematic will show you what components do in a much clearer way, for example a transistor as a buffer is easy to find on a schematic, if you know what to look for. The same circuit in a layout can be built a million ways. Schematics have "rules" and "standards" to depict circuits whereas layouts do not. Look at enough schematics and you'll see the same building blocks used over and over. This means a schematic is, usually, read from left to right, power on top and ground at the bottom.

However, there is nothing wrong with building pedals from a layout. You will not understand everything, but it'll be fun. Enough fun to keep at it. My first pedal was a small clone-clone. I etched a PCB and built it "paint-by-numbers"-style. When it didn't work I came here, posted a debugging thread and installed the missing jumper. I had a working chorus pedal, no understanding of why it worked, but most importantly: It was a blast and it made keep building pedals. This in turn, made me want to learn more about the theory behind it all.