SD-1 is noisy even when bypassed

Started by sigmoid, March 26, 2014, 05:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigmoid

I don't think that this is the bleed through problem that people complain about with this pedal. The noise floor of my rig dramatically rises when this pedal is in my chain. Its been around the block.

I have some theories. Electrolytics don't age well, so maybe I need to replace the dc filter cap or the 1uf output cap.
Or maybe I should switch out the JRC4558 with a TL072 because of it's better noise rejection.
Seeing as the noise is present even when bypassed the buffers seem like a logical place to look and I know that BJTs can get noisy if they're properly abused. Maybe I replace them, maybe with jfets because why not.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

GibsonGM

- possibly a loose/bad jack, dirty jack or dirty pot(s)....not making a good ground connection anymore and needing to be cleaned up and re-fastened...look at simple things first.  I wouldn't dig in so fast, start ripping parts out - getting "Hissy" often just means a ground is wacky!

IIRC, one of the pots (Level?) tends to be problematic on the SD-1....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

sigmoid

Thanks Gibson I will look at all the ground connections first. That's a good tip!

Jopn

Definitely a known issue with that pedal, check out suggestions in this thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=23903.0

GibsonGM

Yeah, I seem to remember that thread, Jopn! Ha ha.  Long time ago.  Seriously tho, it usually is something simple like this, rather than failing caps or anything.  Generally not serious.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...