bug crusher sample rate reducer

Started by kitschead, March 26, 2014, 07:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitschead

Hi all.
Wondering if anyone has any experience building the bugcrusher sample rate reducer pedal?
This looks like a really awesome piece of kit which I'd like to give a bit of a go. I haven't got a huge amount of experience with pedal building though so I'm wondering if it might be a difficult one to tackle.

vigilante397

Having never heard of this pedal I did a quick google search... WHOA. I'm still relatively new (just completed my 15th build  ;D) and this thing looks super intimidating. I counted 9 pots and 5 switches?!?!

Do you have a layout already, or are you working off of a schematic? I didn't look too in-depth, but the layouts I found claimed to be a BugCrusher while reducing the controls to a single pot.

So I would say if you have your heart set on that pedal to go for it, but if you're not in a hurry I would say build your way up to it  :icon_lol: It doesn't look very friendly for a beginner. But if you're not afraid of the mess and not afraid of spending time debugging, who's going to stop you?  :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

kitschead

Yeah I'm just thinking of this simple one with one pot to control sample rate. To me it looks fairly manageable.
I think i'll need to order those ICs online though.

vigilante397

In that case I would say go for it :) This is one of the layouts I came across, and frankly it made me wonder what the other 8 knobs do on the original :P This one doesn't look too bad!
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

JustinFun

One thing to watch on that layout - it looks like the traces (connections between components) are a mixture of top side and underside - for instance, pin 3 of IC 1 goes to ground, but crosses the trace for -9v. If you put both traces on the back of the board you'll get a hot battery pretty quickly! As you build, make sure that there's only a connection where there's a blob on the layout.

Also, I'm assuming c5 isn't jumpered although the layout seems to show that it is. TBH, if I were you I'd check this layout carefully against the schematic before you plug in your soldering iron - if you can, print both off and literally tick off each connection between each component across both. It's a helpful exercise anyway if you're new to this, and you will have more confidence that the layout will work.

FUZZZZzzzz

"If I could make noise with anything, I was going to"

duck_arse

kitsc, go here, and read. there is some interesting info on parts for the bitcrusher bugcrusher.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=106111.0
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

kitschead

Thanks for the responses guys.
I've ordered the chips which the original layout asks for. Can't wait to give this a go!