distortion/overdrive pedals----

Started by FLchuckles, March 28, 2014, 03:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLchuckles

hi dudes-  i tried a few of MOD's DIY pedals. even one of their tube driven D-pedals.

i mean no disrespect...but they are pretty darn lame. no "depth"....hardly any distortion....ect.

where can i find a GOOD d-pedal project?!  gettin desperate here!  ;)  Thanks yall

pappasmurfsharem

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

SmoothAction

Deadastronauts spitfire metal n' blues pedal. Period. Best high gainer I've built no question. Thick n chunky, although I might mod mine for a 3 band tonestack. The single tone control works well too. Cleans up OK, not great, but good enough for sure. It rips.

My 2nd choice is the wampler plexidrive at low gain being pushed by a treble booster (I used a naga viper) so you can have a high gain/low gain option. The naga pushing the somewhat dark sounding plexidrive also rips face but cleans up better with guitar volume.
"Never heard a man speak like this man before, never heard a man speak like this man before. All the days of my life ever since I've been born, never heard a man speak like this man before."

slacker

What have you tried? What don't you like?

Distortion Plus for the win :)

aron

Almost every pedal I have documented has tons of distortion. That's just the way it is. :-)

GibsonGM

Quote from: aron on March 28, 2014, 05:57:43 PM
Almost every pedal I have documented has tons of distortion. That's just the way it is. :-)

+1     I use either a Dist + or Guv'nor "topology"...mod the crap out of them, add tone stacks, boosters....but both of those have TONS of drive.   

Maybe you mean you need more mid scoop or something?  That is do-able.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

FLchuckles

yeah, i have a 70's MXR D+, a tone bender 1.5 and a fuzz face. the bender and FF i built myself.

these 3 i like....so i kinda use them as a "baseline" for comparison.  my last build was "The Persuader" from MOD-DIY. 12ax7 driven. completely sucked. even with a vintage Mullard and wide open.

i tried a bunch of different resistor values on the tube cathode...in an effort to change the bias point of the tube. that didnt do much. just made it "muddier" as i lowered the value.

i'm not an electronics guru....my knowledge is very limited.  so i'm looking for something simple.  The MXR D+ is PLENTY for me! I'm not looking for "massive gain".....just that nice fat chunky thing.

my Fuzz Face is PNP and i used old Texas Instruments, 2g 374 transtrs.  I struck gold! lol --- that thing turned out DELICIOUS!!!! it's actually my favorite.

Spitfire metal n blues??? i'll have to investigate.......... 

deadastronaut

@smoothaction, yeah its cool, i tinkered with a carvin  stack with it on breadboard a while back, was pretty nifty, but i got sidetracked with other projects....

on a separate note, anyone messed with FET arrays? :icon_idea:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//