Any more "Technology of the..." articles?

Started by jishnudg, March 29, 2014, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jishnudg

When I got into DIY effects (just a year back), these were really the canonical texts for me, a 101 course in their own right...of course many of these articles seem to have been written a decade or so back, but I was wondering if there's any possibility of similar primers being published on the website in the near future...?
Thanks again,
J.

bluebunny

I'm waiting for R.G. to write "Technology of the Wife", which would help many of us come a tiny step closer to understanding that substantial but otherwise quite baffling part of our lives.  But since that's pretty much impossible to do, I'll settle for "Technology of the Big Bang".  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

electrosonic

• SUPPORTER

R.G.

The most recent was the technology of the Boss and Ibanez bypass circuits.

The Technology of articles were written at a time when my life periodically included a few days at a time when I could actually concentrate on them and do a proper job. That sometimes happens now, but those times are fewer and farther between.

But there is a possibility. What "Technology of..." would be most pertinent these days?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

boogietone

Technology of the Boss - isn't that the same as the one requested above?
An oxymoron - clean transistor boost.

R.G.

Quote from: bluebunny on March 30, 2014, 10:22:29 AM
I'm waiting for R.G. to write "Technology of the Wife", which would help many of us come a tiny step closer to understanding that substantial but otherwise quite baffling part of our lives.  But since that's pretty much impossible to do, I'll settle for "Technology of the Big Bang".  ;)
My understanding is entirely too incomplete to write a technology guide. From the dim past, I remembered a tech support letter, and found it again with google. Here's one version of the letter:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Wife_1.0
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Luke51411

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: R.G. on March 30, 2014, 02:19:54 PM
The most recent was the technology of the Boss and Ibanez bypass circuits.

The Technology of articles were written at a time when my life periodically included a few days at a time when I could actually concentrate on them and do a proper job. That sometimes happens now, but those times are fewer and farther between.

But there is a possibility. What "Technology of..." would be most pertinent these days?

I'd like to see some technology of Sub circuits. Tone stacks, envelope followers etc.

Or something like the multiple stage mu-amp pedals. I know you have the mini booster/ mu amp one.but something that takes about the inter relation of the cascaded stages

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

midwayfair

Quote from: pappasmurfsharem on March 31, 2014, 01:41:04 AM
I'd like to see some technology of Sub circuits ... envelope followers

The envelope filter article has a ton of info about envelopes, which has been useful for me understanding compressors, for instance.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

jishnudg

"Technology of Audio to MIDI conversion" would be nice  :) Remember seeing one such project on this forum sometime back....

Quackzed

I always thought a technology of transistors, jfets, mosfets etc... would be cool, kinda different in that theres no one way to use them each. also r.g. has covered alot of this ground in various forms and other articles...
I also read and re-read those articles again and agian and again, slowly understanding a bit more here and there. really helpfull stuff for the curious 'modder' to go a little further in to the deep woods of electronics and try and get a handle on this stuff, many thanks for that as well!!!
good stuff.
recently i started digging into switching and logic and decade counters and cmos and maaan, thats a whole 'nother forest.
maybee even a 'technology of logic circuits' , but no, that would just be cruel... nevermind!  :icon_lol:
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

Mark Hammer

My sense, from 33 years of marriage, is that any man who attempts to write a "Technology of the Wife" document, will, in short time, not have one.  Or at the very least, not enjoy some of the benefits of having one for a lengthy period of time.

As for suggestions for other less lethal articles, there is a modest need for the Technology of Octave-Division, assuming such a piece does not already exist.

And while we are not always quite so chip-focussed, I guess if one is going to devote a document almost entirely to the CD4013 flip-flop, then what the heck, Technology of the PT2399.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Quackzed on May 04, 2014, 09:02:53 PM
I always thought a technology of transistors, jfets, mosfets etc... would be cool, kinda different in that theres no one way to use them each. also r.g. has covered alot of this ground in various forms and other articles...
I also read and re-read those articles again and agian and again, slowly understanding a bit more here and there. really helpfull stuff for the curious 'modder' to go a little further in to the deep woods of electronics and try and get a handle on this stuff, many thanks for that as well!!!
good stuff.
recently i started digging into switching and logic and decade counters and cmos and maaan, thats a whole 'nother forest.
maybee even a 'technology of logic circuits' , but no, that would just be cruel... nevermind!  :icon_lol:
If you look through the archives of Nuts & Volts, Electronics Today, Elektor, Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, et al., you'll find plenty of articles covering the basics of specific kinds of semiconductors, often written by Robert Penfold or Ray Marston.  Try poking through here, for starters: http://www.nutsvolts.com/index.php?/magazine/columns/

Quackzed

nice, thanks mark, already knee deep in articles that look interesting... (i need a nook or paperwhite or somesuch device to copy web articles onto, for some outdoor reading options. )  8)
nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

~arph

R.G.

Quote from: ~arph on May 16, 2014, 09:32:44 AM
Technology of fundamental extraction
If I knew how to do that reliably, I'd be making more money...  :icon_lol:

Fundamental extraction is very difficult. I chased that for most of the 70s and part of the 80s. Simple circuits don't do a particularly good job of extraction, and good circuits are not simple. In the analog and mixed signal world, about the best you can do is to employ filtering and gating. A filter bank with at least three bands per octave followed by peak sensing and gating to gate to only the lowest active filter would do a pretty good job - I built two octaves of this once - but it gets very complex. Much more synth than effects pedals.

This is one of those things that is much easier in the digital domain. Convert to digital, do an FFT, substract out everything above the first big peak, then reconvert. Analog is inherently time-domain.
R.G.

~arph

Ok, then how about
the technology of low ripple, fast response envelope followers?

Mark Hammer