A SHO shouldn't be THIS difficult!!!

Started by wheyface, March 29, 2014, 06:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheyface

Howdy everybody.

So although I'm a beginner, I've built other circuits no problem, and for whatever reason, this one has been giving me trouble.  It should in theory be the EASIEST of all circuits, but I'm just not getting any continuity whatsoever when the pedal is activated.  

I'm grabbing my DC readings as we speak and maybe someone can give me some pointers from there, but I'm uploading some gut shots right now, just if anybody can point out something I'm just blindly missing.  I'm using this layout, (http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/02/zvex-super-hard-on-compact-layout.html) and to be completely honest, I'm incredibly embarrassed so pleas be patient with me.  

I'm not getting any DC readings between ground and the bs170 or zener, any ideas? I thought maybe the power jack has gone weird, but the LED still works.

:icon_sad:

wheyface

So I'm not getting any reading from Ground to the BS170, or at least a very very very little reading.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

HOTTUBES

Question :

What's the wire doing leaving the board beside the 4739 zener ?

Only 5 wires are required to get that SHO up and running

Gain 3 wire goes to lug #3 on the 5KC pot
Lugs #1 & #2 are tied together on the 5KC pot , then they go to ground .

Green wire is Guitar input
Blue is Guitar output

RED is 9vdc
Black is ground

wheyface

Ah yes. So since it's a wooden enclosure, the ground doesn't run through the enclosure itself. So I'm using that as a spot to groin the in and out jacks.

nocentelli

Check that you have 9 volts at the point power enters the box (i.e. the adaptor jack positive or battery positive terminal, whichever you are using), then check the 9v strip on the vero is actually 9v. Next, check the continuity between input, output and board grounds: If this is all good, you should have 4.5v on the BS170 gate.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again