Recent conversion to vero

Started by Luke51411, March 29, 2014, 11:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Once I graduated from kits, I started out with pad per hole which was great for learning especially since it is more error prone than vero and you have to follow a schematic. I recently converted to vero and I love it, it's too easy and feels like cheating. That said it saves me a bunch of time that I can now spend playing with my new toy! The downfall is it seems a bit harder to integrate board mounted pots which I really prefer to off board wiring. Also I can build them so fast that i run out of components and board before I have time to replenish the cash from the previous order, but hey it's a blast and after all it is actually all about playing guitar right? Haha anyways... I can't sleep so these are my random thoughts thanks for participating.

Jdansti

I like vero too. I do about 50% vero and 50% etched PCB. I occasionally will do a pad per hole perf board. One nice thing about vero is there are a lot of layouts available on the web.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

duck_arse

vero drives me bonkers. I agonise over every hole not used = wasted. and I can't abide stretched-lead layouts, so I have forests of up-standing resistors, and often a million flying links.

having said that, it's all I've got to use. and I just got diylayout, so neater more legible layout diagrams .....
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

innovine

Wait till you start etching :)  An easy way to get started with it is simply drawing the circuit with a sharpie directly onto the copper. Then you just plonk it into the etching solution and the sharpie protects the copper, forming traces, while everything else dissolves away. Drill some tiny holes and you're done.
You can size boards reasonably similar to vero, but often the circuits are much easier to layout and debug. Plus, this is a good step imho towards doing photo-resist etching. Definitly worth a try sometime