tonepad speaker sim

Started by peterg, April 05, 2014, 08:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterg

I'm buiding the tonepad speaker sim and tested it once the board was done. The output is slightly below unity so I'm certain something is wrong. Any degugging help would be appreciated. Here's the details:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=150
I modded the layout to add a resistor for the led and am adding an attenuation pots at the end of the circuit. I have used a few recycled caps. 
The voltages are the same for both ICs:
1 4.56
2 4.56
3 4.46
4 0
5 4.46
6 4.56
7 4.56
8 9.12 (from wall wart)
There is .02 volts at output.
There is an asteric (sp?) At the 1M resistor between IC1 pin 6 and 7 but no notes. Should this be reduced or moved to increase the volume?

PRR

Why are the TonePad links intermittently going to a Nike Outlet store? A sub-page which opens a full-screen pop-up?
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Use signal-tracing. Feed signal to input and probe each stage's output. First stage has mild gain. Third and fourth stages are unity-gain. Second stage is a mess to analyze, but should not be a big loss.
  • SUPPORTER

peterg

peterg

There is no volume increase throughout the circuit. At what point should I expect an increase? I was expecting LOUD!

samhay

Quote from: peterg on April 06, 2014, 10:28:07 AM
There is no volume increase throughout the circuit. At what point should I expect an increase? I was expecting LOUD!

I don't think this is supposed to have a lot of gain...

It can be tricky to hear a speaker simulator with a clean signal - try putting a nasty fuzz or OD in front of it and see if it tames the fizz.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

Seljer

Its also got only 27kiloohms input impedance, thats very low if you're plugging your guitar in directly.

peterg

Thanks guys. I tried some other pedals ahead of the speaker sim and it definately adds some depth and a slight volume increase. I built this pedal to use up an extra Marshall knob so the pedal is getting a volume control whether it needs it or not!