Does anyone use brush & paint instead of spraypaint?

Started by monksanto, April 06, 2014, 04:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monksanto

Just wondering if it's really necessary, especially if clearcoating over the top? Do brushstrokes really make a mess of the finish? I'm thinking a good brush & tub of paint will go through a ton of enclosures, while spraypaint runs out quick.

wildebelor

you can get particular brushes that don't leave streaks!
Careful prep will do wonders
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

monksanto

amptramp

You have to use a self-levelling paint to have brush strokes disappear.  You may have better luck with foam brushes.  Or three-dimensional paint just may become part of the design.  I was taught by a marketing man I used to work with (who had a PhD in physics and an MBA), IYCFIFI = If you can't fix it, feature it.  A bad finish = theftproofing.

R.G.

It's worth adding here that there are people who spend entire careers working with the ins and outs of applying paint really well. There are very, very complex formulations of paints and application systems that have been worked on for literally centuries to get good paint jobs.

If you're trying to save money ( "I'm thinking a good brush & tub of paint will go through a ton of enclosures, while spraypaint runs out quick.") then ask yourself which of the Big Three you are after - good, fast, and/or cheap. You can only have two of them.

For instance, self leveling paint, as mentioned, does a great job. But self leveling paint is quite expensive itself, and you are stuck with one signature color. It gets really expensive to have many tubs of expensive paint because you are tired of one color.

Finally, there are DIY powder-coating rigs that do a great job. Look at the Eastwood automotive catalog.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

davent

I spray waterborne acrylics and lacquer with an airbrush, buy my paint in 1 oz. bottles and even those go a long ways. Of the R.G. threesome, i think i get good results, is very cheap (after set up) but for me at least, a very long, slow process.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Rixen

Les Paul Lover

I have used brush on metal primer before because I had some and thought it would be a nice expense saved.

I sanded it flat before to spray the colour. I wasted 2 cans of colour. The primer felt flatfish, but a nice even sprayed colour coat made it look awful. By the time I sanded it down enough to be flat, I had finished my colour supplies and was good to buy some more.

I will now spray the primer
It's. Much cheaper in the long run and the result is nicer.

I have tried to brush on deco too. I like what I've done, but it does look amateurish to say the least.....