orange squeezer works with battery but not with power supply

Started by oasisman, April 06, 2014, 05:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oasisman

Hi there,  been reading these forums recently first time posting!

Right, I have built an orange squeezer that I tested with a battery and worked great.  So I boxed it all up plugged in the power supply and got a loud buzz/hum and burnt out the op amp.  I've looked through my wiring and it is all good  and works perfect when I use a battery.  I'm quite new to all of this, and wondered if any one had any idea why this could be. Here is the layout I used:

Would really appreciate some help here.

Thank you

James

Jdansti

1) Make sure the power supply is not AC and is rated for the correct voltage and polarity.
2) With the PS disconnected from the pedal, check the output voltage with a meter.
3) If the above are OK, post a clear photo of your power jack showing where the he wires attached to it are connected to the board and battery.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

oasisman

Wow that was a fast reply! When you say not ac, I'm using the power supply that came with an alesis nanoverb that is 9v.  But looking at the adapter, it does say ac adapter would this be the reason it is burning my op amp?  Sorry for sounding like a noob, like I said I have just started this and I don't even normally use pedals!

Thanks for your help!

oasisman

Update!

Taking jdansti's advice, I was using the wrong type of adapter! Haha do I feel like an idiot!  I found an old pedal board power supply my friend gave me years ago and it worked first time it is a bit noisey but I think that is just because it is a low quality power supply. Thank you so much jdansti I would still be burning up op amps if it was not for you.

Cheers

James

Jdansti

Glad you got it going!  We've all grabbed the wrong supply. There are some inexpensive clean supplies out there. Two examples are the One Spot and the Danaelctro DA-1.  Hope to see more of your builds!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

induction

The orange squeezer was designed to be used with a battery, not an adapter, so the original schematic doesn't implement low-noise biasing. This means that any ripple from the power supply will be amplified. The circuit can be easily modified to be quiet with a crappy wall-wart, but if you've already built the vero and don't want to start over, you'll have to use a regulated adapter to get rid of the hum.

karbomusic

LOL. As soon as I saw nanoverb I thought it might be AC because I remember several of their devices use an AC-AC adapter. Glad you found the problem!