Need advice troubleshooting 1971 Univox amp (tremolo schematic included)

Started by LucifersTrip, April 07, 2014, 04:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucifersTrip

sorry for the delay...haven't been around.

>PRR:
>I didn't want to get into this.....

But thanks much for doing so, anyway. Even though that detail is above my level (I have done hardly any work with speakers or amps),
I was able to follow the concepts after a few re-reads & some Googling.

>bhill
>give the folks at http://www.ssguitar.com/ a shout.

thanx. I joined the forum since someone on there posted about the same amp, though I haven't posted yet.
I mainly want to confirm if there were 4 or 8 ohm speakers in there. The amp is actually not that common at all. I
couldn't find any demos on Youtube.

>PRR
>If you must run the Laskar alone

The Laskar is going to be removed. As you noted, "it is ALL wrong for this application". I was incorrect in my first post.
The Univox does indeed work without the Lanzar. I must've had a poor connection with my quickly rigged clip leads.

>If you want a very low max output very mellow amp, this will do it.
I'm cranking this up to the level (60%) where there's some ear-ringing, so no problem there. It's an in-home amp.

>GFR
>The input stage is not very guitar friendly, with a too low impedance. It helps to use a buffered  output pedal in front of it.

thanx for that one. Even though I usually try that with pedals, it didn't dawn on me with an amp. In my initial post, I said that
it doesn't have sharp highs, now it does...it's sharper and clearer in all ranges.

I'm going to remove the Lanzar and casually look for another speaker (or 2) that's compatible. If I start to have any problems
(oscillation, hum, etc), I'll open it up and start replacing caps. For now, I couldn't ask for too much more...It's quiet as a mouse,
can get way louder than I need it, doesn't color pedals, and all the circuits work...
always think outside the box

LucifersTrip

always think outside the box