Tremulus Lune - LFO not working?

Started by BDuguay, April 07, 2014, 12:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDuguay

Hey All
I have an older commonsound Tremulus Lune, with the Bypass switch and a square/sine wave switch, and the LFO is not working. I have the homemade LED/LDR apart and can see the LED works and will dim in accordance with the depth pot setting but otherwise it's static. All active components check out fine and everything is where it should be. I'm wondering if it's a possible funky resistor.
Either way, can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Thanks,
B.

Kipper4

Did you check the voltages in the lfo? When passing signal?
Is your led varying when you play.
Is the ldr resistance varying?

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/tremulus.php

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

mth5044

See the Debugging thread and follow the instructions.

Your description is confusing - so the LED pulses? The depth changes the brightness, so does the speed work? You mention static - is that what you are getting on the audio output? Does the bypass work?

BDuguay

I haven't checked voltages while passing signal, no. The LED does not vary when playing through. The LDR is removed currently so that I can see the LED. I've tested the LDR on its own and it still functions properly.
The LED will pulse by manipulating the Depth pot but otherwise it remains "static" in relation to the pot setting. It will not oscillate regardless of where the Speed pot is set.
It's wired for true bypass and that works.
B.

GibsonGM

Sounds kind of like something is shorting around the LFO.   Need some voltages on the opamps!
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

BDuguay

Lately I've had a bunch of problems that turn out to be the least expected component failure and in this case it was a bad Speed pot. It occurred to me yesterday, after looking at the schematic with a coworker, to confirm all the pots were functioning as they should.
Thanks for all the replies!
B.

Jdansti

"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes  :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

BDuguay

Quote from: Jdansti on April 08, 2014, 08:21:59 AM
"Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes  :)
Amen to that. Sometimes pedal troubleshooting is more like detective work than anything else....
B.

GibsonGM

Good deal, glad to hear it, but yeah - strange component failure!   It happens, though....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

duck_arse

Quote from: BDuguay on April 08, 2014, 09:20:06 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on April 08, 2014, 08:21:59 AM
Amen to that. Sometimes pedal troubleshooting is more like detective work than anything else....
B.

eliminate the impossible and you are left with the improbable.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Kipper4

Good work I'm dead chuffed you got it working.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/