Modified My GCB-95 (Advice please)

Started by Dumpster Diver, April 08, 2014, 05:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster Diver

I Went and bought a cheap Crybaby And Didnt Like the Sound at all using my Traynor YBA-1.

looked up http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod.htm This guy, and also followed The Instructables somewhat.

Havent done The True bypass or change out the Stack of Dimes, Or The One Capacitor

so ONLY Mods I did are those specified Resistors and then Adjusted the Tracking of the tone pot! Thats it!

Playing it through my Solid state Yorkville 400 It sounding a TON better for sure! Lot better voice Im sure you probly know how a stock Crybaby Sounds at first.  

The Gain mod However seems to have increased the sound by (Im guessing) +10Db

Not sure If I need that one Capacitor Change to help the midrange at all now that I made the other changes.

Or how to get the Volume Of the Amp, Muff pedal- and wah all pretty matched without some kind of Volume pot on the wah pedal itself (that is the MAIN thing Im asking and need to know!)  

So when Im using a Tube Muff and The Traynor AMP with it Im getting way too much scream off the high end when I click on the WAH, Even with the treble on the guitar and amp all back I need something to lower the wah down a hair to let the Fuzz compensate.  Then I have to Set my Amp levels too low and same with the pedal otherwise.

Maybe I should Change back the Gain Mod or at least something to compromise that..and tell me please if True bypass is going to make a difference too.

Thanks again in advance (thinking Im going to do the inevitable LED install while Im at it, Theres a couple lying around here on my desk)

-J
Whats wrong with it, Its broken, its broken!!!

italianguy63

I'm far from an expert.. but, I have done a few of these-- for the gain resistor, I use a 300R or a 330R instead of the 270R indicated in the article.  I've had pretty good luck with values in that range.  I remove the buffer section as a rule too...  MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

MrStab

afaik, the "gain mod" is mostly useful if you've true-bypassed your wah, as then there's a greater disparity between the volume when on and bypassed. if you haven't TB'd it, then the volume was probably more or less on par with bypass to begin with
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

Dumpster Diver

Ok Great, Im planning to Get a better switch and Add the Bypass! That Makes a lot of sense, Thank you! 

Is it possible to add a volume pot somewhere  :icon_confused:

Gonna check for a 300R and The next wah I build or mod gonna write that down and try it.

So Two things to remember now;

True Bypass

and 300R.
:P
Whats wrong with it, Its broken, its broken!!!

MrStab

it would be possible to add a volume pot between the effect output and the output jack (there's possibly a wire coming from the switch, i can't remember), but it would be kinda pointless, and imo would just be compensating for having too much gain from that resistor. you'd probably always leave it on one setting and it'd waste space for cooler mods! :D

if you do want a volume pot, though: if you use, say, a 10k pot, then lug 1 = ground, lug 2 = output jack, lug 3 = effect output (from the board or the switch). look around this site and on Google for pictures, if needed.

some people say the newer Crybabys don't really need true bypassing, but it's how i got into effects making and it's fun to do, so i encourage it.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.