lol... ;) (warning extremely controversial content)

Started by deadastronaut, April 08, 2014, 08:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

midwayfair

Quote from: DougH on April 09, 2014, 08:07:50 AM
I think big muffs are really cool, have a cool sound and can be the perfect thing depending on what you're trying to do. The funniest part of that PGS video for me, was with the riff in question, how he said he preferred more of an "overdrive" tone. Yeah right... Because when I think of overdrive, especially "transparent", the first thing I think of is a Big Muff.  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:

He never mentioned "transparent"; in fact he said "classic big muff" and also said "more of an overdrive tone," not "overdrive."

This thread is getting sad and the comments are getting increasingly ridiculous and elitist. The BMP is a classic pedal used by HUNDREDS of professional gigging guitarists at every level of success, and the EHX costs only a little more than it takes for us to build one. I'm willing to bet at least one person who's commented on this thread has sold a build of one for more than the original costs.

And I've heard worse big muff demos, some of which came from people on this forum.

[/notmakingmyselfanyfriendstoday]
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Govmnt_Lacky

Let me clarify that I AM a fan of the Big Muff pedal!  ;D

I just thought the BYPASS comment was pretty funny!  :icon_lol:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

midwayfair

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 09, 2014, 10:00:00 AM
Let me clarify that I AM a fan of the Big Muff pedal!  ;D

And let me clarify that bypass is also MY favorite setting on the big muff! :P
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

deadastronaut

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 09, 2014, 10:00:00 AM

yes it was.. ;D

@jon: i'm just having a laugh man, why get so defensive over a pedal that you won't use anyway ? .

btw its not elitist to have an opinion on a sound is it?...that's just subjective taste surely,  lighten up man its humour..(see i warned about it being controversial)  :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

wavley

I get both sides, I do, and I really love my muff in certain situations and I like my tone, but there are a lot of folks that think my tone is nasty and that's ok with me.  I also think taste is subjective and it's ok to have a little fun with it (I also thought the bypass comment was really funny)

Like I always say "Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody IS one"
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

DougH

Quote from: midwayfair on April 09, 2014, 09:53:50 AM
Quote from: DougH on April 09, 2014, 08:07:50 AM
I think big muffs are really cool, have a cool sound and can be the perfect thing depending on what you're trying to do. The funniest part of that PGS video for me, was with the riff in question, how he said he preferred more of an "overdrive" tone. Yeah right... Because when I think of overdrive, especially "transparent", the first thing I think of is a Big Muff.  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:

He never mentioned "transparent"; in fact he said "classic big muff" and also said "more of an overdrive tone," not "overdrive."

This thread is getting sad and the comments are getting increasingly ridiculous and elitist. The BMP is a classic pedal used by HUNDREDS of professional gigging guitarists at every level of success, and the EHX costs only a little more than it takes for us to build one. I'm willing to bet at least one person who's commented on this thread has sold a build of one for more than the original costs.

And I've heard worse big muff demos, some of which came from people on this forum.

[/notmakingmyselfanyfriendstoday]

Hmmm...

As I said, I like the Big Muff, a lot.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Jdansti

Quote from: wavley on April 09, 2014, 10:33:38 AM

Like I always say "Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody IS one"

As I said before, I like LED on one of the BMP clipping stages, and anyone who disagrees with me is a big dummy.  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

midwayfair

Perrow

To everybody in this thread, your opinion is wrong.  :D
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

steveyraff

Every sound has a time and place - genre and taste depending.

I really, really hate Muffs and fuzzes... when I think of them as overdrive or distortion. In recent years I've managed to think of them as two completely different things (and rightly so). When this happens, you realise its just another flavour. Sounds like I am stating the obvious, but this is how it works in my head. I mean, I listen to the tones used in something like Kyuss and I think, if I was going for this sound and wanted to intentionally fuzz and mud it up, it'd be difficult to get from a good overdrive, but relatively easy from a muff/fuzz.

I learnt a lot and gave this sound more of a chance when I started building my Cornish G2 Clone and realised it was a relative of the Muff. Its great though because its one of the few pedals I've personally tried that gives a tonality range including both great open overdrive sounds and dirty fuzz if required - more so with the tweaks I made too.

I've a heck of a lot more respect for fuzzes and muffs now.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Ice-9

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 09, 2014, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on April 08, 2014, 06:31:56 PM
My favorite setting on one of those is BYPASS

SIGNATURE WORTHY!!!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:

Thank You Govmnt_Lacky for spotting that as a signature worthy statement, I needed a new one. So Be it.

I do like a bit of muff but thats nothing to do with stompboxes.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

steveyraff

Quote from: Ice-9 on April 09, 2014, 07:08:17 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on April 09, 2014, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: Ice-9 on April 08, 2014, 06:31:56 PM
My favorite setting on one of those is BYPASS

SIGNATURE WORTHY!!!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:

Thank You Govmnt_Lacky for spotting that as a signature worthy statement, I needed a new one. So Be it.

I do like a bit of muff but thats nothing to do with stompboxes.

;D Its funny cuz he means vaginas. ...sorry.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Jdansti

Oh!  Now I get it!  The thing is, I've never thought that the female anatomy sounded like a Big Muff. Maybe once I heard one that sounded like Deadastronaut's Chasm Reverb, but never distorted.
  • SUPPORTER

steveyraff

Quote from: Jdansti on April 09, 2014, 07:45:32 PM
Oh!  Now I get it!  The thing is, I've never thought that the female anatomy sounded like a Big Muff. Maybe once I heard one that sounded like Deadastronaut's Chasm Reverb, but never distorted.

LOL Brilliant.

I can only relate that to something like an Electric Mistress with all controls maxed. This thread has gone down a very dark path... I'm going home!
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Mustachio

Haha Fellas Fellas , with the comedy jokes and the what not's .

I embarrassingly need to admit to doing one of the most horrid big muff demo's ever. Bad Levels Bad playing, I put it up last minute because some one interested in buying it wanted to hear it first. I should really take it down from my youtube.

And My GAWD John I nearly shot coffee out my nose! hahahahaha
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

petey twofinger

Mike Matthews is my absolute favorite guy in this business , i enjoy his personality immensely .

when i was a kid , a good friend o the family showed up at our door with a large box full of EH pedals , he had found Jesus , gave up rock and roll and gave me the pedals .

i used that big muff for a long time , got a few more or free/ cheap , used them with eq , on both bass and guitar for a loong time . i have not plugged a BM in for maybe fifteen years now . i cringe when i hear some of the recordings but i really do want to plug it in again and compare it , see if it has a place in our set up now . i am thinking on bass with the paramix , siting next to a wooly mammoth thats mounted in an MnM's candy box .

thats the thing about music , its true beauty lies in its subjectivity , or something like that .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself